Brian Holmes on Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:52:06 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: rejoinder: is a radical project identity achievable?

Alex Foti writes:

"In Castellsian terms (tell me Felix if I got it right),
bushist occidentalism is a legitimizing identity and
shia/sunni fundamentalism is a resistance identity. Castells
contrasts these two forms of social identity (for him,
networks and identities are all there is on the globe) with
progressive and transformational project identities, such as
feminism and environemntalism.

"My point then is this: what kind of project identity would
be needed to stave off this double threat to the basic
welfare of humankind? And even harder but more crucial, can
the inheritors of the Seattle-Gothenburg-Genoa movement, as
well as other radical and progressive forces, achieve it?"

Alex, you're one of the people who make a difference, and I
agree, your question is the right one. Plus you introduce it
by reference to my text on Network, Swarm, Microstructure,
so it's the perfect chance to respond to the rejoinder.
Originally I was gonna rework that text for the Dictionary
of War. But the urgency of the present required something
different.

The text on global microstructures raised what's almost a
"technical issue," something precise and particular. It
focused on the disruptive power of four very different
self-organizing groups, all outside of institutional
control: financial speculators; Al Qaeda; open-source
hackers; anti-globalization movements. Each of these
communicates through specific technical networks, but also
operates within an overarching cultural horizon of shared
values and images. The point was that each in its own way
has driven the globalization process forward in a kind of
wild rush. But what used to be the anti-globalization
movement in Europe, North America, Australia and such places
is obviously not doing that anymore. Your interest in all
these ideas might have been piqued when I included the
Euromayday networks as a disruptive microstructure. And I
think you saw something naive, utopian or angelic in
Lazzarato's vision of the activist ("she creates a
bifurcation in the flow of words, of desires, of images, to
put them at the service of the multiplicity's power of
articulation").

The activist question is always what to do, how to achieve a
better world? The part of that question that I'm working on
is: What kind of culture, what kind of shared horizon can
help us get there?

What I think is that the mystique of disruption and the
utopia of self-organization are not enough. To fixate on
that is backward-looking, I agree. The problem is that these
aspects fit too smoothly into the bubble economy of the
nineties, what I called capitalist "deterritorialization" in
the microstructure text, and what I tried to define much
more precisely as the "breadth phase" of fusions and
acquisitions, in my recent text on Peace-for-War. The thing
that Guattari saw so clearly is that capitalism's great
waves of de-territorializing expansionism are always
accompanied by regressive re-territorialization, i.e.
nationalism, fundamentalism, or what you call "bushism" and
"occidentalism" in the case of the Nato countries. In my
more recent text I wanted to identify the hard core of
occidentalism, namely the oil companies, weapons dealers,
engineering corps like halliburton. The point is that this
kind of regressive nationalistic corporate militarism is the
reflex of the whole capitalist system, whenever boom goes
bust. And there are deep structural interests that make such
a reflex possible, even encourage it, press for it, realize it.

The current war shows the impossibility of just thinking
European. What's happened is that a whole new productive
system has been installed, at a world scale, over the years
of expansionism from the mid-80s to 2000. Now the struggle
is on to see how this new system can be institutionally
regulated - culturally, economically, politically,
militarily. It's comparable, but not the same as what
happened after the Fordist invention of production lines for
automobiles: you had the expansionism of the 1920s, a
depression in the 30s and then war in the 40s to decide who
was going to be able to frame the institutions. But now the
US, which was halfway enlightened or at least had some kind
of twisted generosity in the postwar period, has become
almost a despot, probably because of its status as a pure
rentier society, dependent on Chinese and other labor for
its wealth, with financial and military power its only
specialties. Is the worst side of this declining power going
to create the institutions for the productivity of a new
world society? Or worse yet, is that society going to just
immediately fall apart into extended war? Things are going
so fast, it's no wonder people are confused, me too in fact!

As for the movements you mention, I think we're stuck with
being an active minority in these world networks: we have to
experiment with the real-time sharing of words, images,
forms, gestures, actions and insurgencies, all those things
that are described so imperfectly by the image of a swarm.
But the out-of-control imagery of the 90s isn't something to
live for, and the multitude isn't gonna happen by accident
either. If we want to build on the first big experiment of
the Seattle-Gothenburg-Genoa days, if we want to go beyond
the backward-looking Third-Worldism of the Social Forums
without giving up any solidarity with the South and with all
oppressed and impoverished people, we have to give the
microstructures of resistance much more coherence, by
building a sky above, a horizon of shared analyses and
orientations (not to say values: I mean orientations,
directions, possibles). We can't just be opportunistic and
hope to hitchhike with what might again appear as the gains
of the new productive system, gains for those within the
privileged countries of the western core. We have to really
cooperate on solid critical understandings of how
technoscience is being deployed in the world and the damage
it's doing, and we have to maintain that critical awareness
along with more forward-looking visions, so that our
multicultural, multisexual expressions and our organizing
strategies don't just get seduced into participation in the
business cycle again, if another breadth phase comes in the
next few years. Good times for flexworkers is never gonna be
enough. What climate change and peak oil and Bush and
Israel's war on Lebanon are showing us is how unbelievably
dangerous this phase of setting up the new global
institutions really is, how much disaster it could end in.

You say, pink, green and wobbly in Europe, and I say, yes,
that's it, but let's not be afraid of the philosophy and
dialogism of human potentials, the science and the
cosmopolitics of ecological balance, the strategy and
technique of organizing industrial development in the world.
I've been participating in the Euromayday movements as much
as I can, I'm OK with the pop style of organizing, but I
think if we want a real project identity, a deep intense and
open microcosmic horizon for networked movements that can
actually influence the institutional changes, then we have
to make sure that the images and slogans don't lead back to
the faked desire of the consumer markets and the dream
factories of daily life - or back to the revolutionary
fantasies of agitators who get left behind by reality. A
political culture that can resolve serious differences
between dissenting groups, and can draw plans for using and
governing the productive forces that make and shake the
earthscape, is what the post-68 left never developed and we
need it badly, man. Not the endless Marxism of 1917 and the
appeal to "industrial working classes" that have been bought
off and normalized into reactionary submission long ago. Nor
the lazy critique of "the West" as a metaphysical absolute,
and more lip-service for whatever revolt that appears
outside, no matter how fanatical. Instead, the capacity to
provoke and win confrontations over the new labor issues,
while conceiving and debating the strategic place of those
conflicts within global ecological and anti-imperialist
struggles, always remixed through the transforming filter of
sexual and cultural potentials that don't just become the
assertions of someone's ego. A project identity, OK, but the
word is so poor, such a suffocating horizon for a human
being. I think we're talking about something to live for,
and the ways to get it too. The exact science of our unbound
dreams is what governments should be afraid of.

best, Brian