John Hopkins on Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:32:31 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> actors wanted

>Could a terrorism theme park be not far away?  /jc
>
>+ From a UCSD press release
>
>August 22, 2006
>"Operation College Freedom"

Hi Jordan --

While I also find this next step in the militaristic show of force on
campus repugnant, those of you docked and living in SoCal (NoCal as
well) might well take a bit of personal heed to the very real event
statistically just over the immediate horizon (it stays an immediate
possibility until it happens!) -- that of massive geo-tectonic
activity.  As a geophysicist, I couldn't rationalize staying in the
LA basin area, working an a building on Wilshire Blvd with giant auto
springs holding it up in the basement and every other week, the
strange precursor rumblings that was first thought to be a herd of
morbidly obese amurikans thundering down the hallway outside my
office.  If you thought that Katrina was a big deal, or 911, or the
Iraq War for that matter, you will be overwhelmed by the potential of
large-scale tectonics.

Doubtful that even numerous DHS practices will help much of anything
except for the military itself, but you might consider making a
locative project out of the idea of hiking east out of the heavily
populated costal areas assuming that all elevated roads will be
collapsed, and that you will have to carry all your water, food, and
weapons to stay in possession of both, with you -- at least as far as
the Arizona border.

It won't be a theme park, it'll be REAL LIFE!

Cheers
John