Stevie Ronnie on Tue, 5 Sep 2006 00:18:37 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Exquite Corpse - Totems Without Taboos

It's been a long time lurking on this list....

Some thoughts on Paul's essay:

Reliance on mono-focused media seems to me to be stronger than ever
for the majority of the world's population. We prefer to dip in and
out of the multi-media world and most dipping in is directed by the
traditional media as a sideline or curiosity. The development of
communication tools has been stunted through the desire to recreate
the high street in hypertext.

Is the notion that information has become significantly over-sized
for the human mind the baby-steps of Gibson's predictions for the
networked world? Perhaps the glut of information is a beast that
will take centuries for humanity to understand and use effectively.
Perhaps it will never happen without a major revolution leading to the
restructuring of basic political models.

The questions, the questions, an open essay indeed.

peace

stevie