Michael H Goldhaber on Thu, 7 Sep 2006 04:34:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Disordered thinking through the origin of language (I'm in quotation)

that is what I was trying to explain. (I don't think all animals
possess culture, by the way,  although many birds and mammals do. To
have culture, there needs to be some degree of specific raising of
the young.)
The leap into the symbolic requires the ability to associate in a
somewhat fluid way, and also the ability to imitate at a high level.

Best,
Michael