Heiko Recktenwald on Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:30:46 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Creative Common Misunderstanding

Florian,

Florian Cramer wrote:

> Kurt Schwitters was not sued for collaging the logo of German
> Commerzbank into his "Merz" painting which in turn yielded his "Merz"
> art. Neither did Andy Warhol receive injunctions for using Coca Cola's
> and Campbell's trademarks. As long as these symbols remained inside the
> art world, they did not raise corporate eyebrows.

I thought a little bit about this and I think the only valid argument
is: is it good art or not? The Schwitters and Warhol pieces are. Both
had something different in mind, much more than copyright, something
new, and they succeded artistically.

Sampling is just another limit of copyright, like privat copies. The
next summer hit with a certain Michael Jackson sample or whatever, is it
good, is it really something new, like the house, that the thief of
stones has built, something valuable, and should Michael Jackson get
some money too?

CC etc are just more burocracy for things, that are no problem at all
for ordinary people, just what the industry needs, I dont care at all
about it.

The copyright of Schwitters and Warhol is something different.

Tolle Sache, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2849462995031279648

Urheberrecht is prima, appropriation of reality, that should be artists
first concern.

H.