Kali Tal on Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:29:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> KaliFUD

On Oct 11, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Wayne Myers wrote:

> Suppose Kali Tal were just Sondheim playing.

Well, if you can't beat 'em, occupy their subjectivity. (Wait...
wasn't that what started this conversation?)

In the glory days of Tech(No)Culture-L in the early 90s, in the
middle of a raging flame war about gender, George Landow decided I
couldn't possibly be a real person.  He wrote a very long post,
proving his case point-by-point. He went on for about twenty screens
and honestly, by the end of the process, I was pretty sure he was
right, his argument was so sincere and convincing.

It was (as more than one TNC-er noted) a rather mean-spirited joke.
I laughed my ass off when Joe Amato, Stuart Moulthrop, Mike Joyce,
and several others responded by claiming to be me, George, each
other, and imitations of themselves.  I penned a lengthy confessional
-- I was guilty of all charges; I was really a Ph.D. dissertation
project in the UC Santa Cruz History of Consciousness Department.
Some fancy Harvard doc/psychiatrist went ballistic and in all
seriousness threatened to report the imaginary women who had cobbled
me together to an ethics board, hauled up on charges of human subject
rights violations.... Ah, yes, those were the days... when the
internet felt new and exciting and full of possibility...

I'm perfectly happy to stand by and let others drive the Kali-bot.
Please turn the motor off and let the bot cool down if it starts to
overheat. And be careful. A lot of people can't safely handle a
machine with that much power. It's all fun and games until someone
loses an eye.

KALI [STAMP: OBSOLETE MODEL, NOW RETIRED]