nettime's_walrus_and_carpenter on Sun, 15 Oct 2006 16:02:43 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> u-turns and brouhahas digest [x2: bechtel, rosler]

Brent Bechtel <bbechtel@prodigy.net>
  <nettime> Gender and U-Turns
martha rosler <navva@earthlink.net>
  Re: <nettime> The Sondheim brou-ha-ha: one perspective

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:00:39 -0600
From: Brent Bechtel <bbechtel@prodigy.net>
Subject: <nettime> Gender and U-Turns

There are no Men's Studies courses because of the nature of liberation;
many would drop this book into the recycling bin labeled "civil
liberties" - there could be connotations, denotations,
misappropriations, committees, reinvented lexicons strapped alongside in
the canvas sacks headed towards the sneeze-worthy, rarely-circulated
books depository.

Blazing through academics and politic fund-raising (always alumni
conscious, you must see) stacks of unacceptable, offensive words
(offensive thought, of course, is assumed incapable of coat-hanger
abortions, vasectomies, hymens, glans penis lubrications, and
catastrophic mentions of corollary -- even weakened and calmed by
phenobarbital, alcohol, alprazolam, purring cats and ataxia --
comparisons are best hidden in hollow trees; myths of freedom were
guarded by patriotic squirrels in such a place, as I was told ...)

Naked or nude? Oh, these were questions along with gender in my first
sociology class at university. Be careful. Don't mistake sex and gender,
especially not aloud.
Thankfully, it was a state school, West Virginia University, and I did
not buy the books, study, use notes, and received an A. "Behold!
Academics is an abandoned circus for a half-sleeping poet to mock with a
triumphal grin!"  Ah, yes I know: Other sciences are not so infantile,
puerile and stapled into lecture halls with packing crates and soggy
cardboard boxes (which did once hold lettuce, among other perishable
foodstuffs.)

Allow me a moment of flat, horrid reductionist observation: Western
civilization -- *ahem* civilization on Earth, has for nearly all
generations, in the majority, followed patriarchy, male headship (this
is an antiquated term used by some Jews and Christians, etc.,) This is
not comprehensive, it is one sentence. Patrilineal and matrilineal
customs vary.

Examine your genealogy -- "Female Child" "Female, dead, age 3" -- no
names given, nothing recorded, this well beyond the Enlightenment and
Great Awakening in the United States -- (a diversion, but full of smug
and growling analysis.) Infant mortality, death in childbirth for a wife
without a first name? Too common for a culture claiming marriage as a
treaty between two equals -- too full of blasphemed blasphemies directed
toward discomfort -- oh, and this oppressor, the male? (I do not count
this all-inclusive; neither dualistic/binary.)

Why do descendants of enslaved Africans search through and for records
that do not exist to find a heritage? Oh? Why do males of European
descent find clear records of their names, births, signatures in
Christian Bibles, shares and stocks in attics and their handiwork
preserved by families, generationally, as pseudo-sacred?

Ah, men have studied themselves enough, I declare!

Our accounts are known, my great-grandfather's daughter had no recorded
name and died days from her birth; what is there to study apart from
painted photographs -- often photographs taken of the child after an
infant death -- no name, no history, no lineage, no concern,

SIMPLY FUNCTION my fingers declare. Why do I have books with my
great-great-grandfathers signature and notes inside but I have never
heard of a female of my family signing her ownership of a printed book;
of a library established by a woman (for simplicity, let me invoke the
gender-sex roles of the 1900s-1920s.)

MEN HAVE STUDIED THEMSELVES this could be as simple as a joke about
masturbation, but this is a dance for archives, for understanding,
preservation, iterations and categories I have no time to type.

Men know themselves well; they have known themselves well; there are too
many records of wars and cabinetry and preaching and discipline and
HEADSHIP of FAMILY set in concrete (which arrived eventually, but was
never as pretty as cobblestones ...)

YES MEN ARE CATALOGED but WOMEN have a missing history -- this is why I
believe Women's Research, Education, and A Firm Establishment of
Identity (however this may be chosen by gender and sex or sex and
non-sex and sexual non-sexual corporeal and chemical dictum) is DUE. It
is welcome.

Details of social justice fill enough dusty books; they can be
referenced with a NIOSH approved mask if you are sensitive to rot and
mold. Or did OSHA determine those standards?
Now I begin to ponder whether both Man and Woman and Child have any
names recorded when Material Data Safety Sheets sift through my
hypothetical-grandson's desk.

-Brent
bnbechtel@gmail.com

Nancy Mauro-Flude wrote:
> Why Isn't There Men's Studies? Gender and Us:
>
> A bit of a cop out but I find this quote by Kathy Acker (Lest We Forget) sums
> up the vicissitudes in question,
 <...>