nettime's_digestive_system on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:30:49 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Science of Identity cult agents attempt take-down of chrisk [3x]

Table of Contents:

   Fwd: [Libre-Discuss] Science of Identity cult agents attempt take-down of chrisk
     David Berry <d.berry@sussex.ac.uk>

   Re: [cc-community] Fwd: [Libre-Discuss] Science of Identity cult agents attempt
     Andrea Glorioso <andrea@digitalpolicy.it>

   Re: [fc-uk-discuss] Fwd: [Libre-Discuss] Science of Identity cult	agents attempt
     Richard Clayton <richard@highwayman.com>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:40:14 +0100
From: David Berry <d.berry@sussex.ac.uk>
Subject: Fwd: [Libre-Discuss] Science of Identity cult agents attempt take-down of chriskcon.com based in spurious copyright law evocations

Can anybody offer advice?

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Matthew Z
> Date: 8 April 2007 20:06:38 BDT
> To: Discuss@libresociety.org
> Subject: [Libre-Discuss] Science of Identity cult agents attempt
> take-down of chriskcon.com based in spurious copyright law evocations
>
> http://www.mjzhosting.name/collaboration/view_topic.php?id=167
>
> This might interest some people on the copyleft front. Being
> personally involved in the matter, what I'm most interested in is
> the weight of a certain claim in Jeannie Bishop's letter to myself:
> "The information stated above is accurate, and under penalty of
> perjury, I am authorized to act on behalf of the Science of
> Identity Foundation, the exclusive owner of the copyright that is
> being infringed."
>
> If anyone with some insight into the actual legal mechanisms that
> might arise here has any thoughts on the matter, I would be very
> interested in hearing them. To what degree could the "penalty of
> perjury" come into play? What are worst-case-scenario
> ramifications? etc. Are they just talking shit? Should it be easy
> to keep this website online?
>
> Matt

- ----

David M. Berry
d.berry@sussex.ac.uk

EDB128
Media and Film Department
University of Sussex
Brighton
BN1 9RH

01273 606755 x4837
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/mediastudies/profile125219.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:04:37 +0200
From: Andrea Glorioso <andrea@digitalpolicy.it>

Dear David,

on a first glance, this case looks very much similar to the (in)famous
Scientology v xs4all case in the Netherlands.

I'm a bit afraid of giving an advice without more thought on the
matter - including understanding what would be the applicable law
here - but I suggest checking whether provisions on "fair use", "fair
dealing", "exceptions/limitations" and/or "free usages" (depending,
again, on what is the applicable law) would not be a valid defense
here.

In particular, infringement of exclusive rights granted by
copyright/droit d'auteur law for the purposes of criticism/discussion
is in principle admissible in various jurisdictions.

Whether it is also admissible also in practice depends on a range of
conditions, again depending on the particular law to be applied. Only
judicial power can decide that.

I would suggest to check whether such exceptions might possibly apply
before taking any other decision.

P.S.: nothing in the above excludes liability under other laws (e.g.
libel).

Ciao,

Andrea

- --
Andrea Glorioso            Assistant Researcher, Politecnico di Torino
    Dipartimento di Automatica e Informatica, Internet Media Group
       Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24 - 10129 Torino (TO) - Italy
     T: +39-011-564-7036 M: +39-348-921-4379 F: +39-011-564-7099