Ned Rossiter on Tue, 15 May 2007 05:01:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Can Organized Networks Make Money for Designers

Design Mai
Digitalability Symposium
Tools, Talents and Turnovers: New Technologies in Design
Berlin, 12-13 May, 2007
http://www.designmai.de

Session: Working Environment and New Business Models

'Can Organized Networks Make Money for Designers?'

Ned Rossiter

My interest in this talk is to consider what the political concept of
organized networks might mean for designers wondering how to make a
buck. I know for sure that I won't be able to offer a one-size-fits
all business model, so if that's what you were hoping for, then be
disappointed now. Instead, I will focus on what I consider the
primary conditions that attend the practice of collaboration in an
era of network cultures and informational economies. My hypothesis is
that without paying attention to the way networks are built and what
makes them tick, you can forget about the rest, which includes
whatever money-making potential you might glean from your design
activities. This is a matter of structural and organizational
fundamentals that underpin collaboration.

Having said there's no magic-bullet for money-making in this talk, in
the second part I will sketch one proposal: the creation of new
institutions for design education that reside outside the formal
system of the art school and university. For it is in new modalities
of education, I believe, that designers have a particularly strong
contribution to make in terms of advancing knowledge and practices in
their field, while creating an open resource that serves as a means
of income generation and research financing. This is my proposal for
a new business model.

Organized Networks and Creative Collaboration

First, let me briefly outline the concept of organized networks. Over
the past 30 years or so we have witnessed the institutions of
modernity  - universities, governments, firms, unions - struggle to
reconcile their hierarchical structures of organization with the
flexible, partially decentralized and transnational flows of culture,
finance and labour. There is much phenomena, in other words, that
escapes the managerial gaze of modern institutions. In other ways, of
course, we find increasingly sophisticated technologies of
surveillance and data tracking deployed to determine our movements
and practices. But this does not result in increased efficiencies or
productivity in terms of the management of people and things. Just
the opposite, in fact.

Accompanying these moribund technics of what can be called networked
organizations is the emergence of organized networks. Whereas
networked organizations can be understood as modernity's institutions
rebooted into the digital age, organized networks, by contrast, are
social-technical forms that co-emerge with the development of digital
information and communication technologies.

Organized networks do not need to try and recalibrate existing
institutional practices into social-technical dynamics of digital
media. Instead, they need to undergo a scalar transformation that
enables the possibility of sustainability for the proliferation of
practices across numerous social-technological platforms, many of
which are highly unstable and fragile.

Let me give some examples. Putting aside all the hype around Web2.0,
there's no question that the rise of social technologies have enabled
a massive increase in the number of people experiencing new forms of
creative collaboration. There's an exceptional busyness to online
social life and, it must be said, exhaustion. The digital elite can
do two things: log off and outsource. Welcome to the Cult of
Wilderness2.0. Where Nature was once packaged as a Sacred Tour in the
19th century as a means of restoring health to upper-classes tired of
the city's industrial lungs, today it reappears in the form of a
holiday from the keyboard and the capacity to earn money from another
sucker who crunches the code.

This is the plight of creative labour. Indeed, it is the common that,
in its exploitation, also enables the possibility of refusal. The
precondition for escape, however, is organization. The challenge for
the loose relations of network cultures - within which creative
labour resides - is to find the social-technical means through which
new institutional forms may emerge. But don't get me wrong: I am not
suggesting unionisation as a panacea for creative labour.

Collaboration is the key resource for the invention of new
institutional forms. German media activist Florian Schneider
understands collaboration as 'working together with an agency with
which one is not immediately connected'.[1] Importantly, such a
notion of collaboration does not assume participants share something
in common; rather, it recognises 'the common' as that which is
constructed precisely through relations of difference, tension and
dispute.

What, in other words, constitutes the common of creative labour when
different capacities and conflicting values and interests are brought
into relation? And how might creative practice be open to conflict
and the expression of difference as constituting the common of
collaboration? These questions are necessarily left open, since it is
only in the situation of creative collaboration that specificities
may be found. I now wish to turn to the topic of new education
models, which I consider as one of the more obvious ways in which
organized networks, in their scalar transformation, may obtain
economic resources.

New Design Education Models are New Business Models

As government funding for higher education has diminished over the
past decade (or longer, in some national cases), universities have
found themselves increasingly positioned within a market economy.
This structural relation alone locates education as a commodity
object. Inevitably there will be barriers to access learning in such
instances. An alternative -- open access learning -- has great merit,
but there are some fundamental issues to do with cost of delivery
(labour, production, infrastructure, etc.) and technological modes of
communication that must be addressed. Key here is the connection
between peer-to-peer collaboration and new business models.

The glacial temporality of university curriculum development and
subjugation of teachers by the life-depleting demands of audit
cultures sets a challenge for design education programs that wish to
synchronise their curricula with the speed of popular media
literacies. To distinguish market and user hype from quality that
makes a substantive difference is near impossible. Consensus will not
be found beyond the fleeting moments of micro-adoption among A-list
bloggers and their links, or whatever other community of users you
care to name. Ratified standards for design education within the
cultures of networks do not exist.

As the university increasingly loses its monopoly on the provision of
knowledge as a result of neoliberal governance and the advent of peer-
to-peer and user-producer media systems, design education is in
crisis mode. Best practice is frequently found outside of university
degree programs. Expertise has become distributed across a population
of practioners and everyday users. How, then, might such knowledge
feed back into university programs? Can formal accreditation for
autonomous education be extended to non-university actors? Are such
processes even desirable?

Crucial here are the different temporalities afforded by research
platforms positioned outside of the temporal order of the market and
its post-Fordist modality of just-in-time production, which
underscores the habitus of the university today.[2] In a recent
posting to the edu-factory mailing list -- an initiative by mostly
young activist researchers associated with uni-nomadi (an informal
teaching program across a network of media and social centres in
Italy involving key participants such as Antonio Negri) -- Taiwan
based academic Jon Solomon phrases the predicament of time and the
university as follows:

'The students have been so disempowered by the compulsory national
primary and secondary education system (which favors the production
of an elite) that when it comes to the university organization of
their own temporal rythms, they are completely passive in their forms
of resistance (and the faculty doesn't provide any relief or
alternative resources)'.[3]

How, then, to create different temporalities which enable process of
counter-subjectivisation? A number of core elements come into play in
the repositioning of research and teaching outside of the university.
And these, I would add, are not without precendents: think of the
mechanics institutes as sites of popular learning for the working
classes in the 19th century (albeit enframed by the morally uplifting
values of the middle-classes), adult education classes after the
second world war, the rise of alternative schooling movements such as
Montessori in the 60s and 70s, and so on and so forth.[4]

My point is that counter-sites of learning at the current conjuncture
are imbued with qualities special to the social-technical dimension
of network cultures, and conditioned by the political economy of the
informational university.

Collaborative practices within the creative industries and network
cultures are now well established as the primary mode of production
and communication. The business models which sustain the combination
of service labour and innovation as they are located on the margins
of industry are less understood. Primarily comprising of 'informal
economies' (symbolic, voluntary, word-of-mouth) and sustained
economically by various forms of financial support (parental, small
government funds such as the 'citizen wage' or grants, associations
with universities) and wealth generation (e.g. Anderson's 'long
tail' [5]), there is great scope for further development and
understanding of new business models.[6]

Sketches of Networks of Design

As far as design practice and research goes, there is much to gained,
in my view, through an exploration of a form of radical empiricism
that intrigued Deleuze in his study of Hume and throughout his life,
where 'relations are external to their terms'.

How, in other words, can an ontology of design be understood in terms
of its social-technical arrangements that operate in trans-scalar
ways, where micro-practices and macro-forces interpenetrate each
other, and where the power of design subjectivisation is instantiated
in the very moment when the form of design connects with the
particularities of social practice and in so doing brings borders
into question?

If there is an ontology to be found in design networks, it consists
of the trans-scalar capacity of networks to traverse the complex
field of institutional codings and practices of subjectivisation. In
this trans-scalar movement one finds the potential for new
instituional forms to emerge. And the tensions that subsist within
such movements comprise 'the political' of networks.

Berlin's creative industries and urban transformations furnish just
one of many possibilities for such an exploration. But what is at
stake in such undertakings, beyond a seemingly benign intellectual
curiosity? Let me close with three suggestions.

First, as I noted earlier in my talk, there is a great urgency for
new institutional forms. Tactical media holds a tremendous reservoir
of practices and social-political experiences. Yet tactics are prone
to mirroring the short-termism of the enemy, as found for instance in
the managerial culture of the informational university and, more
broadly, post-Fordist capital. How to communicate the sociality of
tactics in trans-generational, transnational and transcultural ways
is a strategic challenge for design networks, and one that will
assist, in my view, in the invention of new institutional forms.

Second, it is all very well to accummulate repositories of open
knowledge for design, but how to mobilise them? This is the problem
and politics of translation. Along with inconsistencies that will
always exist at the level of technical standards (without
inconsistency there wouldn't be innovation, after all), there is the
additional and perhaps deeper complexity of culture. A politics of
translation is always a multi-way street of incommunicado.[7]

Finally, there is the question of time. Time as exhaustion that
underscores the uncertainties of labour and life. Time as the
'vanishing mediator' (Balibar) that attends the imminent crisis of
climatic transformation. And time of the decision that individuates
the action of refusal, or the refusal to act. This, I submit, is the
social-political territory of design theory and practice today.

Notes
[1] Florian Schneider, 'Collaboration: Some Thoughts Concerning New
Ways of Learning and Working Together', 2006, http://
roundtable.kein.org/node/525

[2] Jon Solomon, 'Knowledege Conflicts, Self-Education and Common
Production', posting to edu-factory mailing list, 22 April 2007,
http://www.edu-factory.org

[3] Ibid.

[4] As Julian Kücklich has alerted to me: 'In the German context,
there's also the model of the "Volkshochschule" (higher education
institutions without access restrictions)'.  My argument for teaching
and learning outside of the university should not be misconstrued as
a plea for this somehow outdated and unsuccessful model of the
dissemination of knowledge.

[5] Chris Anderson, 'The Long Tail', Wired 12.10 (2004), http://
www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/tail.html

[6] For a study of working conditions and experiences of new media
workers in Amsterdam, see Rosalind Gill, Technobohemians or the New
Cybertariat? New Media Work in Amsterdam a Decade after the Web,
Network Notebooks no. 1, Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures,
2007, http://www.networkcultures.org/_uploads/17.pdf

[7] See Incommunicado 05: Information Technology for Everybody Else,
organized by Geert Lovink, Soenke Zehle and the Institute of Network
Cultures, De Balie, Amsterdam, 15-17 June, 2005, http://
incommunicado.info/conference

Related Readings

Geert Lovink and Ned Rossiter, 'Dawn of the Organised Networks',
Fibreculture Journal 5 (2005), http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue5/
lovink_rossiter.html

Brett Neilson and Ned Rossiter, 'From Precarity to Precariousness and
Back Again: Labour, Life and Unstable Networks', Fibreculture Journal
5 (2005), http://journal.fibreculture.org/issue5/neilson_rossiter.html

Brett Neilson and Ned Rossiter, 'Towards a Political Anthropology of
New Institutional Forms', ephemera: theory & politics in organization
6.4 (2006), http://www.ephemeraweb.org/journal/6-4/6-4neilson-
rossiter.pdf

Ned Rossiter, Organised Networks: Media Theory, Creative Labour, New
Institutions, Rotterdam: NAi Publications, 2006, http://
www.naipublishers.nl/art/organized_networks_e.html