Jon Lebkowsky on Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:18:15 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The banality of blogging

This is an odd conversation that confuses form and content. "Blog" is
form, just as "book" is form. You can't make a general statement about
the content or quality of "all" books; there's a huge diversity. What
you can say most clearly is that books are generally a collection of
printed pages bound and organized in a particular bookish way.

Same for blogs. What I find true of blogs is that they're generally
but not always short form series of posts published in reverse
chronological order, sometimes with comments, usually with permalinks
to individual posts, etc.

What those who argue "banality" are missing is the wealth of
high-quality writing that we see in blogs, that would never have been
published in books or periodicals, because of the significant barriers
one must overcome to write for traditional publications. To me, that's
the real story. Could be that many blogs are banal, but I'm not
reading them, are you?

~ Jon L.

#  more info: majordomo@kein.org and "info nettime-l" in the msg body