jnech on Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:41:26 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> language virus

Hello Michael, et al

Your point about the bio virus as metaphor is well taken (I might
need to hear more about the "danger" however) but may I suggest that
you take a look at Jussi Parikka's new book: Digital Contagions:
A Media Archaeology of Computer Viruses, where he theorizes the
computer virus as a cultural phenomenon stemming from non-linier human
thought/imagination.

I am only a third of the way through it, but so far I find it rather
brilliant. It maps out the anomalies of network culture from the
angles of security, the biopolitics of digital systems, and the
aspirations for artificial life. If possible, I will post a full
review of it on my blog - and elsewhere - asap.

Best Regards,
Joseph Nechvatal