Kimberly De Vries on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:16:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> search engines on the move

But in Google's page rank system, doesn't something similar happen? If
you happen to use the same terms others have for the exact thing you
want, it comes up near or at the top, but if the terms you use have
been used by many others for something else, then you won't get very
good results at all.

So yes, you can call these portals a new layer of mediation, or they
could be seen as reclaiming control. I agree that in some ways it
could be view as a backward step, except that we can still do it all
from our computers. And we can still stumble on things--I find more
interesting links through my network on del.icio.us than with google,
during most searches.

Another alternative that never seems to have gotten very far though,
is the meta-search engine. For a brief time, dogpile seemed like it
was going to be great, but then it just disappeared.

Best,

Kim

#  more info: majordomo@kein.org and "info nettime-l" in the msg body