Brian Holmes on Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:08:34 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> [NMF] Blue Monday Review

It's funny that this book is published by Actar. Because it sounds a lot
like an American variation on a book also published by Actar, in the
year 2000, called Mutations, about mobility and change in postmodern
Europe. The characteristic contribution to that book was by Stefano
Boeri and the group Multiplicity, under the title USE: Uncertain States
of Europe. If they had happened across a bunch of retirees in mobile
homes, they too would have called them the Multitude.

Boeri & Co. certainly explore a networked condition, and to trace their
ideas back to the postwar cybernetics produced, among others, by Bell
Labs, would be legitimate and interesting. And they too, like the
authors of this book, hail at least distantly from the "negative
utopias" of Archizoom Associati and Superstudio, the Italian
architectural theory groups of the 60s who tried to explore the new
nihilistic voids of the consumer society, a little like man's first
steps on the moon. But Multiplicity was also concerned with
appropriation and cultural difference in a continental condition of
shaky borders, and with the conflicts those miscegenations create on the
ground.

It so happens I translated the Mutations book, and while doing so I was
irritated by the pervasive and rather facile borrowing of concepts from
the Autonomia thinkers (Negri, Virno, Lazzarato etc) who not only were
not referenced (who cares, by the way?) but whose political engagement
didn't survive the transition to the chic and glossy theory of urbanism.
On the other side, I found Multiplicity's work absorbing, beautifully
presented in the exhibition, and stimulating to this day in my
understanding of and desire for cities and the overall urban condition.
So now I'm wondering whether this is a productive vein of research, or
just another formula in search of admirers?

all the best, Brian

Eduardo Navas wrote:

> TEXT: Sumrell and Varnelis¹s Blue Monday. Book Review by Molly Hankwitz,
> co-editor
>
> http://newmediafix.net/daily/?p=1607
>
> Blue Monday: Stories of Absurd Realities and Natural Philosophies
> AUDC - Robert Sumrell and Kazys Varnelis
> Barcelona: Actar, 2007
> 175 pages
> http://www.audc.org/blue-monday
 <...>