geert on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:24:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> William Dutton's Inaugural Lecture

Dear friends and colleagues,

In my Inaugural Lecture on Monday at the University Examination Schools
I discussed 'the Rise of a Fifth Estate in Internet Time and Space'.

In an earlier era, printing was tied to the rise of the press as a
major institution. Its subsequent growing role in conjunction with the
development of radio, television and other mass media has created an
independent institution in many nations, which has become known as the
'Fourth Estate'. In my lecture I explained why I believe it would not
be an exaggeration to argue that a new form of social accountability is
emerging, enabled by the growing use of the Internet and related ICTs,
in what I am calling the 'Fifth Estate'.

Essentially, the Internet is enabling people to network with other
individuals and with a vast range of information, services and
technical resources, supporting greater accountability not only in
government and politics, but also in other sectors. I argued that this
could be as important - if not more so - to the 21st century as the
Fourth Estate has been since the 18th.

As is the tradition with inaugural lectures, the floor did not open to
questions. However, I would be delighted to field questions or comments
on my blog:
http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/dutton/

Best wishes,

Bill Dutton,
Director

Watch it / Read it

The webcast, lecture text and photos are available at:
http://webcast.oii.ox.ac.uk

[Editor: David Sutcliffe]

Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford