Benjamin Geer on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:41:14 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Community WiFi in UK and Germany, a round-up

On 18/10/2007, Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> There are too many on the Internet already, and I'm not holding my breath
> waiting for some genius from Kazahstan or urban ghetto currently without access
> to be wired and elevate the general Internet experience.

The Internet is not an entertainment device for your personal
amusement. I don't know about Kazakhstan, maybe it has a fantastic
educational system, a wonderful publishing industry and great public
libraries, but in much of the world, people can use the Internet to
get useful knowledge that they can't find anywhere else. The only
slight problem is that there's also a lot of knowledge locked up in
proprietary, expensive archives, and much of what's freely available
isn't available in the languages of the people who are looking for it.
But that can be fixed.

Ben