David garcia on Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:22:20 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Goodbye Classic ?

On 6 Nov 2007, at 16:58, Florian Cramer wrote:

> But, at the risk of sounding like a zealot, this is the typical
> example of how proprietary software platforms, and dependency on them
> [which includes dependency on binary compatibility],

  far from zealotry what you are saying is sanity in a world of
madness and a sense that though not common is common to most of those
on this list. Interestingly (I think) that Graham Harwood taught
himself to code after he was disgusted that another Mongrel 'classic'
called Linker which depended on a propriatory ap suddenly not working
after an 'upgrade'. As Jaromil said recently, even by the standards of
the industry "dropping backwards compatibility is a clear sign of *bad
design*

But although these questions of dependency on propriatory soft (and
hard) ware tools is in one sense central. I think that in other
ways the radical net media culture is some times just as likley to
be caught in the nihilism of the 'big now' where any backwood look
(curating in an older sense) is dismissed as nostalgia. A 'rehearsal
)or recuperation) of memory in a broader sense may not a bad idea. Not
of course that I would suggest disintering and publishing in stable
form ancient nettime threads :) but then again...

David Garcia