Alan Sondheim on Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:46:27 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> sondheim-o-gram x2 re: Perhaps a way of teaching media

               [digested @ nettime -- mod (tb)]

~Subject: Re: <nettime> Perhaps a way of teaching media
     From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:54:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>
Subject: Re: nettime-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 12

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:34:02 -0600
> From: Lismore <villageoflonging@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: <nettime> Perhaps a way of teaching media
> To: nettime-l@kein.org
>
> To foster the potential of impressionable gray matter, such as my own and my
> "peers," around the pastiche of popular culture is not disengaging from its
> hypnosis. The promise of distributed knowledge only goes as far as the
> classroom walls, thus feeding the informatics of domination, repopulating
> the vectors of knowledge. Learning peer to peer, instructor to student, is
> not an expanded knowledge base. Instead it is incestuous, insular, and
> perpetuates the formation of margins.

This isn't true, but then you don't know the histories of the students
after they leave, do you? I don't know where the "pastiche of popular
culture"comes into play since that's not what happens either. The idea of
peer to peer is incestuous is insulting to students who, at least where
I've taught (and this isn't just Brown) have done a lot in the community;
they're hardly involved in "perpetuating the formation of margins." But
then again you wouldn't know, although apparently you want to pass
judgement.

> In other words, Brown is a product (although it is not the only one), in
> which its goods are a heightened fear of failure, bombardment of confusion
> (displacing many American graduates in a type of labor-less mire of office
> work and information mongering), and reinforcement of academic superiority
> over members of the middle and lower-class. A product, indeed, one that we
> strive for; one of legitimation; one that bolsters the small sense of pride
> that we have left; one that I wish i could contain.

This is just ridiculous; I've taught the same at NSCAD and a host of other
schools where the population has primarily been working-class. As far as
"goods are a heightened fear of failure," again you have no idea about the
students I work with. Askevold taught at NSCAD, Lutz at the Tasmanian
School of Art; both had economically poor populations. The students I had
at ACA were hardly wealthy.

And in film/video/media, legitimation comes from the work, not from the
school, which is why it's necessary to stress working and showing outside
the school, any school.

> Self-referentiality. Noise. Pity-parties. An Unconvincing hypothesis. Over
> generalizations. Defensiveness. Buzz-words. Nonsense. Other ragingly
> hypocritical critiques.

Insulting.

> With more respect than you know.

None. Your reply itself is hegemonic, judging people you don't know from on
high with a bit too many cant words.

"These sentiments of tutelage are still comprised of hegemonic" ... etc.
"Tugelage"? Whose?