Lismore on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 18:35:26 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> sondheim-o-gram x2 re: Perhaps a way of teaching media

The wisest of the wise.
I will concede in my ridicule of your institutional pursuits.

However ::

"yes, it's formal, but no, it's not the language of control...
Administrations increasingly expect "results""

what should your students be taking away from this? How can you critically
respond, subvert these anxieties/pressures. The motives of arts
administration do not always coincide with the the intentions of
art-teachers, clearly. You provide an agenda of establishing a kind of
expertise (i.e. school's providing a type of doctrine provided by faculty
and staff), but for an artist like yourself, a person exploring the margins,
how do you feel as a figure-head (whether or not you feel this is justified)
of an institution which influences a generation of emerging media artists?

On high. An interesting dilemma. Perhaps that is due to my own education.
And perhaps this is where the response is coming from; a response to the
schooling that welcomed me into the gentry. With you, perhaps I should have
studied. The angst, the blatant misguidedness, the unfounded direct
pejorative statements against persons I have never met, are all results of
the education that I was given. Or perhaps these were critiques not directed
towards you (or your students, or your institution).

But now this fluctuating and pedantic back-peddling is damaging my original
critiques. Or perhaps these words are deliberately insincere.

As a constant student, I am glad that I can insult.
                                     I am pleased that I am your hypocrite.
                                     I am honored that you continue to
teach.

On Dec 16, 2007 1:09 PM, Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com> wrote:

>               [digested @ nettime -- mod (tb)]
>
> ~Subject: Re: <nettime> Perhaps a way of teaching media
>     From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>

> Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:54:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>
> Subject: Re: nettime-l Digest, Vol 3, Issue 12
>
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:34:02 -0600
> > From: Lismore <villageoflonging@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: <nettime> Perhaps a way of teaching media
> > To: nettime-l@kein.org
> >
> > To foster the potential of impressionable gray matter, such as my own and
> > my "peers," around the pastiche of popular culture is not disengaging from
> > its hypnosis. The promise of distributed knowledge only goes as far as the
> > classroom walls, thus feeding the informatics of domination, repopulating
> > the vectors of knowledge. Learning peer to peer, instructor to student, is
> > not an expanded knowledge base. Instead it is incestuous, insular, and
> > perpetuates the formation of margins.
 <...>

--
L!SM0R3