lotu5 on Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:39:30 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Becoming Dragon, Performance in the Fall

I would like to announce this project I am beginning to work on. It is
in a preliminary stage, as I am still seeking funding, but I do have
early commitments from the Center for Research in Computing in the Arts
(CRCA) and from two collaborators, Kael Greco and Christopher Head.

Becoming Dragon: Stage 1
------------------------
http://www.sharingissexy.org/wiki/index.php?title=Becoming_Dragon:_Stage_1

//Overview//

I am interested in exploring the question of how technology can
facilitate new somatic practices of gender and sexuality beyond male and
female and even beyond the limitations of what we consider human. Using
a conception of identity and a process of social interactions and
feedback loops, I plan to use the online public space of Second Life as
the site of my investigation.

While Marshall McLuhan said that “We shape our tools and afterwards our
tools shape us,” I am interested in the time after that. What is the
process by which we shape our avatars and then our avatars shape us and
then we reshape our avatars and on and on? In the Lacanian Mirror Stage,
an infant tries to achieve the image of themselves that they see in the
mirror when they mistakenly think they are standing on their own. How
does this process continue in a feedback loop and develop into new
conceptions of self beyond our current conceptions of our own limits?

"The becoming-woman serves as a point of reference, and eventually as a
screen for other types of becoming (example: becoming-child as in
Schumann, becoming-animal as in Kafka, becoming-vegetable as in Novalis,
becoming-mineral as in Beckett)... There is no such thing as woman per
se! No maternal pole, no eternal feminine... The man/woman opposition
serves to establish the social order before class and caste conflicts.
Inversely, whatever shatters norms, whatever breaks from the established
order, is related to homosexuality or a becoming-animal or a
becoming-woman."

- Felix Guattari, Becoming-Woman

//The Performance//

I would like to experiment with long durational performances of
non-human characters in Second Life. How much immersion is possible?
Transsexual people are required to live for a year as their chosen
gender before being allowed by their psychologist to get their Gender
Confirmation Surgery. Could this be replaced by virtual living?

Many contemporary performance artists claim to be doing performances "in
second life". I would like to try to get a little closer to this claim
by waking up and falling asleep "in second life". My initial plan is to
do up to 30 days "in second life", but I may have to scale back to 14 days.

There is a long history of durational performances in performance art,
such as Teching Hsieh's One Year Performance 1980 - 1981 (Time Piece)
[5], Marina Abramovic's "When Time Becomes Form" [6] and her series of
durational works, Joseph Beuys "I Like America and America Likes Me",
and Chris Burden's "White Light/White Heat" [7] where he lived in the
gallery. How does the duration of the performance change its effect? Can
the identification with an Avatar or a virtually constructed identity be
pushed farther than it is with frequent users of these environments? Can
one live "in second life"?

During the performance, I would be available to an audience both in
Second Life and in the physical space of CRCA at Calit2. There are a
number of interesting options for audience interaction such as the
display wall, having multiple screens/computers in the performance space
and even having an additional immersive environment where a viewer could
participate. How can technology facilitate a powerful, interesting,
compelling performance simultaneously in physical and virtual space?
[edit] Technical Approach - Augmented Reality

The goal here is to develop a working, immersive Augmented Reality
system, to port a motion capture and head mounted display to control a
character in Second Life, an Online Massively Multiplayer Online Role
Playing Game (MMORPG).

[Some Second Lifers use the term "Metaverse" over MMORPG to emphasize
SL's very different "Magic Circle". In SL, the game is a very different
one, less an escapist fantasy world of play, or a more mature projection
of identity in an economy with real currency and a capitalist business
culture designed to soften the connotations of gameplay ... -BS] [8]

My initial conception of this project is to model my physical
environment to enable me to live in the virtual environment for extended
amounts of time. This is an approach of Augmented Reality, where the
physical world is mapped into the virtual. Of course, Augmented Reality
is a misnomer, because Reality itself is a mediated state, it seems a
better term would be Augmented Bodies.

The plan would be to use the following components:

     * An immersive head mounted display (HMD) The display would allow
me to move around in my physical environment within calit2 and still
remain "in game". Head tracking would help to provide a realistic
feeling of immersion and audio is built-in to the device as well.

     * A motion tracking system. The Performative computing lab at CRCA
houses a Vicon motion capture system, which allows real-time motion
tracking data to be sent to a windows pc. Using these signals, I would
be able to map my physical motion in the real world back into game
space, so that, for example, I could easily get to my food source or to
the restroom.

     * A computer running second life, receiving the data back from my
physical interface and sending them to my character "in game", allowing
me to participate in social interactions.

//Limitations and Challenges//

A number of "fundamental" components of "virtual reality" are not met by
Second Life, or are hard to meet.

     * One main issue is stereoscopic or true 3d vision. Can Second Life
be augmented/configured to send out two video feeds for the same character?

     * Another issue is the question of the Second Life API's and how
much interactivity they facilitate. How can we send the Vicon motion
capture system signals to second life to map into "in game" gestures?

     * Another hardware issue is the HMD. Many HMD's are heavy and not
designed for long term use. In addition, having screens so close to
one's eyes for an extended period of time is very strenuous. I plan to
discuss the possible stress effects with a doctor at UCSD.

//Timeline and Plan//

In the spring 2008 quarter, I will be teaching an advanced elective in
the Visual Arts Department entitled "Collective Art Practice - Networked
and Performative Approaches to Challenging Power" with final projects in
Second Life. If there are students who are interested in collaborating
with me, they may work with some of the above mentioned hardware and
software, collaborating and working towards the technical solutions to
the above problems. You can read more about the class here:
http://www.sharingissexy.org/wiki/index.php?title=Spring_Class_-_Collective_Art_Practice

I plan to develop the technical components of the project between June
and October, with a goal of doing the performance in November or December.

//Conceptual Background and Frame//

For more conceptual background and to see the other stages of my
Becoming Dragon project, see Becoming Dragon:
http://www.sharingissexy.org/wiki/index.php?title=Becoming_Dragon

Footnotes

5. http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/one-year-performance/video/1/

6. http://rhizome.org/discuss/view/28029

7. http://www.feldmangallery.com/pages/exhsolo/exhbur75.html

8. BS - contributions from Brett Stalbaum

--

blog: http://technotrannyslut.com

gpg:  0x5B77079C // encrypted email preferred
gaim/skype: djlotu5 // off the record messaging preferred