Mieke Gerritzen on Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:22:59 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Next Nature in Los Angeles

We are living in a time in which the 'made' and the 'born' are
fusing. Hypoallergenic cats are already on the market. Plants are
used as sensors, information displays and chemical factories. Animals
are being augmented and branded. Young girls are provided with
hypernatural vaginas, modeled after the photoshopped vaginas seen in
Playboy magazine. In response to donor organ shortages, researchers
are working on a 3D organ printer. Real nature is not green. It is
out of control. Games have become jobs. Second life is not
sustainable. Digital world metaphors are boomerang into our physical
environment. Everyday robots give massages and take care of the
children. RFID chips open doors, they might be infected, but
nonetheless are edible.

The extent to which new technologies are intervening in the
constructive, material, aesthetic and social practice of everyday
life can hardly be underestimated. Highways, airports and
supermarkets are part of our natural environment. Our established
image of nature needs to be updated.

Next Nature; the nature caused by human culture. Nowadays, children
know more corporate logo's and brands than bird or tree species. Our
technological world has become so complex and uncontrollable it has
become a nature of its own. Wild systems, genetic surprises,
autonomous machinery and beautiful black flowers. Nature changes
along with us.

The Biggest Visual Power Show on Next Nature is an intellectual show
between a conference and a pop concert. From movies to live
performance. From physical experience to virtual imagination.

Contributions by: Manuel Castells, Kevin Kelly, Rob Schr?der, Michiko
Nitta, Tinkebell, Susana Soares, David Kremers, Rene Daalder/Folkert
Gorter, Floris Kaayk, Julian Bleecker, Erik Davis, Peter Lunenfeld,
Hendrik-Jan Grievink, Judith de Leeuw, Luna Maurer/Roel Wouters,
Arnoud van den Heuvel, Rolf Coppens, Christian Bramsiepe, Helena
Muskens, Quirine Racke and more...

http://www.nextnature.net/powershow2008

THE BIGGEST VISUAL POWER SHOW LOS ANGELES
Next Nature 2008

Saturday MAY 17 | 8:00 pm ? 10:00 pm
MILLION DOLLAR THEATER
307 South Broadway, CA 90013 Los Angeles