Jose-Carlos Mariategui on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:18:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Databasing Life Patterns

Databasing Life Patterns

Jannis Kallinikos and José-Carlos Mariátegui

English: http://www.telos-eu.com/en/article/databasing_life_patterns
French: http://www.telos-eu.com/en/article/la_qualite_du_bordeaux_est_elle_mathematiquement

Over the last two decades, many of us have felt the gradual and
expanding involvement of technological information and the internet in
our lives. However, more often than not, we fail to appreciate the
subtle and pervasive implications these developments may have for the
ways we think and behave. The accumulation of information, from the
growing expansion of the trivial to the serious aspects of life that
are recorded in databases (e.g. financial, medical or legal records,
online habits) and the increasing sophistication of computer
technology converge to confer to data and information a new and
interesting role in the lives of people and the functioning of
institutions. Information is not any longer confined within the world
of computer-based experts. It increasingly infiltrates social life,
constructs the perception of social events, defines priorities and
relevancies, and frames the ways we approach and deal with them.

In a recent and provocative book that may bring tears to many
humanists, the American legal scholar Ian Ayres (1) describes how
modern technologies of communication and computing are involved in
constructing relationships and profiles of people by virtue of
manipulating available data. Such relationships or profiles are
impossible to conceive and construct, unless one has access to huge
and constantly updated databases that are possible to run and analyze
through powerful computers. They derive from the comparison of our
habits or choices over time and across different life activities that
usually evade our perception and understanding. Who we are or how we
act is assumed to lie hidden in the data that records habits,
transactional patterns and other characteristics of individuals and
must be brought forward through database analysis and data
permutations. The profiles constructed range from the analysis of
people’s online consumption and navigation habits to more complex
activities that in traditional settings require consultation with
human experts, such as medical, legal of financial expertise, sports
coaching, sexual or partner preference mapping and others. Very
indicative of these trends is the concept of “digital shadow” that
projects the amount and diversity of data that can be tied to an
individual but it is not precisely of her or his own making. These are
data others produce of us (surveillance cameras, airlines, hospitals)
including the data (traces) our web and online habits leave.

In being able to extract patterns, relationships and causalities that
often elude human perception, inspection and understanding, database
analysis seems to be able to crowd out human expertise and other
traditional modes of human conduct from a variety of fields,
activities or life patterns. The argument sounds undeniably old. It
has been heard several times over the last few decades, arousing high
expectations only to lead to gradual disillusionment. But there are
reasons to believe that the argument regains actuality and relevance
these days. This is due to the conditions established by an entire new
range of technological, organizational and cultural arrangements that
capture, store, process and circulate data of an immense variety.
These conditions confer to the argument a credibility that was not
possible to obtain during the time Dreyfus and others deconstructed
the technological illusions of artificial intelligence and software
engineering.

Ayres opens his book with a symbolic event that ushers us in the new
age he seeks to describe, that is, the uproar created in the circles
of wine expertise in US by the Princeton economist Ashenfelter.
Bordeaux wine quality is known to depend on ripe grapes with high
juice concentration. Both of these key characteristics are heavily
influenced by the rainfall and temperature distribution over the year.
Combining data over weather conditions, Ashenfelter was able to come
around the high uncertainty of predicting wine quality from tasting
young wines in the making and predict the quality of wine for the
years 1989, 1990 in the region of Bordeaux with astonishing accuracy.
His mathematical vision of wine caused a variety of angry reactions
from the establishment of commercial interests, rites and activities
that have centred around wine quality prediction but, if we are to
believe Ayres, it managed to gain recognition internationally.

Ayres’s key claim is about the significance of database analytics that
offer an inspection of life states and opportunities that transcends
human expertise deriving from intuition, observation, and acquaintance
with reality. Simplifying a little, we may say that the issue is no
longer whether machines can map human intelligence but rather the
variety of things than can be accomplished by drawing on the wide
availability of standardized data, organized in huge and often
interoperable databases that are possible to crunch by powerful
processors. He amasses persuasive examples from a large variety of
fields (e.g. baseball and sport coaching, chess, car stealing, e-
dating, finance) that demonstrate the superiority of “database
analysis” over “observational expertise”. We find the type of claims
people like Ayers make challenging and, crucially, timely. Avoid
confronting such arguments amounts to turning one’s back to reality.
On the other hand, we do not share with Ayres and his likes the
optimism that “super crunchers”, as he calls number crunching
supported by huge databases and ample computer processing capacity,
will invariably lead to better decisions and even less so to a better
society. Better is an ethical not a cognitive term and while in some
cases ethics and cognition may go hand in hand, in many others may
not. Let’s have a quick look over some of the issues the databasing of
life patterns is bound to give rise.

The issue whether machines are nowadays (given the construction of
huge databases and powerful processing capacity) better able than
humans in analyzing and predicting reality may be a misplaced one. In
a world dominated by technological information, which is interoperable
and granular, human agents qua cognitive decision makers are already
in a disadvantaged position, in the same way that a pedestrian or
cyclist cannot compete with automobiles in highways. But cognition, no
matter how important, is only part of what defines human agency and
humanity. Most importantly, the mediation of reality through databases
follows principles that are predicated on just one  (important but
slim) form of cognition that gives premium to classification and
standardization of data and events. Data are not recorded in databases
haphazardly. Rather, they need to conform to the categories of the
database and be in forms that are compatible with the underlying
mechanics of computerized data processing. Classification and
standardization thus presuppose the direct or indirect operation of a
conceptual, logically constructed scaffold on which categories are
crafted and make sense. The diffusion of databases implies that such a
logically constructed scaffold gains significance at the expense of
other implicit and associative ways of perceiving and framing life
events. What is recorded in databases must pass through the bottleneck
of the conceptual scaffold on which the database is crafted and the
standardized forms of data or information that the technological
system admits. Information that does not fit the categories of the
database and the prevailing data standardization will most probably
fail to be perceived or deliberately ignored or distorted.

The artefact of the database descends from millennia old information
recording techniques such as list and tables, and other non-verbal
forms of writing. Geoffrey Bowker has recently claimed that “databases
are not a product of the computer revolution”, as most people may
think; “if anything the computer revolution is a product of the drive
to database”. The non-verbal cognitive organization of the database
contrasts with traditional strategies of narration and the importance
narrative has assumed in making sense of reality, including its
contribution to constructing life trajectories and personal
identities. Or, as Manovich has suggested, the database reverses the
order of the classical elements of narrative (i.e. the plot and the
description), squeezing narration and storytelling and hugely
prioritizing description. Logical connections of database elements
take command and constitute modern forms of life as derivatives of
database associations. Structuralists and post-structuralists will of
course claim that this has always been the case and that the database
just makes evident the logical (cognitive polarities, differences)
operations that underlie human thinking and cognition. Be this as it
may, the distinction does have a merit and it is important to uphold.
Databases formalize these differences, standardize their inscription
forms and vastly increase the permutations (as Levi-Strauss may have
said) of the recorded elements.

Brief as this commentary is, it suggests a series of complex trade-
offs between the positive and negative attributes of recent
technological developments. The issue is not to question the
achievements or prospects of database analytics but rather to mark its
territory and dissect the hidden assumptions on which its superiority
is predicated. In considering what falls systematically outside the
principles of database construction and algorithmic reasoning, we may
at least obtain a better view of what is gained and lost when
technological information becomes the key vehicle for understanding
and acting upon, and, ultimately, constructing reality. On the other
hand, it is important to recognize, as we have pointed out in a
previous Telos article (http://www.telos-eu.com/en/article/the_life_of_information
), that the salience the database and its cognitive derivatives
currently assume are supported by a huge and powerful institutional
machinery that by design or implication gives priority to logic over
other forms of conducting one’s life. Perhaps, next generation Paris
or London restaurants and wine bistros will score and price wines
according to database analytics. We need Louis to sing for us “what a
wonderful world”…

1. Ian Ayres, Super Crunchers: How Anything Can Be Predicted, London:
John Murray, 2007.