Naeem Mohaiemen on Sun, 11 May 2008 23:14:09 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Sound Unbound (MIT Press)

I have a chapter "Fear of a Muslim Planet: Hip-hop's Hidden History"
in this anthology published from MIT Press.

I wrote the text in early 2006, but due to publisher schedules, the
anthology from MIT Press in which it appears came out this spring. In
the meantime, various new names emerged, including Lupe Fiasco, who
was absent from my 2005-2006 research. The text remains as is, except
for the inclusion of Lupe right before it went to press. As for the
writing style, an earnest, culture-as-tool permeates the conclusion,
legacy of the mode of thought I was in during 2002-2006 (everything
was about war-on-terror framed "struggle").

###############################

Sound Unbound
Sampling Digital Music and Culture
Edited by Paul D. Miller aka Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid
MIT Press, 2008

Contributors include Pierre Boulez, Chuck D, Cory Doctorow, Brian Eno,
Jonathan Lethem, Moby, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Steve Reich, Saul Williams,
and more.

Buy the book @ Amazon
http://tinyurl.com/63phj2

List of Contributors
http://tinyurl.com/5vbbth

Download "Fear of a Muslim Planet" chapter
http://shobak.org/text/hiphop.shtml