Paul Miller on Sat, 5 Jul 2008 16:35:16 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> MIT Press - Sound Unbound: Digital Media, Contemporary Sound Art

Hey y'all - here's some material:

Sound Unbound, an Anthology edited by Paul D. Miller aka Dj Spooky
MIT Press 2008

> Sound Unbound is an anthology of writings about contemporary art and
> digital media that I put together for MIT Press this year. The book
> just came out and has quickly become one of MIT Press's top selling
> books. It has essays and interviews with people as diverse as Brian
> Eno, Steve Reich, Chuck D, Pierre Boulez, Saul Williams, Jonathan
> Lethem, Bruce Sterling, Daphne Keller (the Senior Legal Counsel to
> Google), and even some occasional Nettime and Sarai Reader
> contributors like Naeem Mohaimen, or Erik Davis and Ken Jordan. The
> basic idea of the"Sound Unbound" was to break down the boundaries
> that the conventional artworld has set up towards - gasp - multi-
> cultural digital media. The central concept was to figure out a way
> to get people out of the deeply Eurocentric discourse around digital
> media and contemporary art, and to build a bridge between a dynamic
> and multi-cultural contemporary art practice and multimedia theory.
> One could argue that the book is a manifesto for a kind of
> fragmentation - contemporary media is rife with what some like to
> call the 'logic of addition'. Sampling, collage based narratives,
> and the basic sense of "urban youth culture" and its cousin, web
> browsing, are two epiphenomena that go with things like ipods,
> mobile phones, webcams, laptops, satellite television, "web 2.0":
> The dj mix grows like wild plants without deep roots (rhizomes) in
> the spaces between older forms of mass media (newspapers, film,
> radio and television).
In the world of Sound Unbound, "normal" media outlets like Fox News,
NBC, CNN etc compete with Arab satellite channels, bloggers and civil
journalism, hypes emerge online, Youtube and Twitter turn everybody
into a media producer. But deeply rooted trees are not that easily
overgrown. The media have become individualized, fragmented - and at
the same time, specialized and opened up. That's what the book is
about. It's 36 essays and interviews about the culture of paradox we
inhabit now from the view point of artists, writers,  activists, and
cultural producers that I think are pushing the envelope in both the
normal "artworld" and contemporary digital media.

Here's a remix of the introduction to the audio companion to the book.
It's based on research into Sub Rosa Record's archive. The audio
companion has rare material from Allen Ginsberg, James Joyce, Iggy
Pop, Jean Cocteau, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Gertrude Stein, Antonin Artaud,
Kurt Schwitters, Carsten Nicolai, Liam Gillick, Trilok Gurtu, Bora
Youn, and others. The small fragment I've included here was written
when I was in Antarctica earlier this year shooting a film about the
sound of ice.