Shuddhabrata Sengupta on Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:24:24 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> 'The Rest of Now' at Manifesta 7

Dear All,

(Apologies for cross posting to readers at Nettime, Spectre,
Fibreculture, Crumb, Kafila and the Sarai Reader List)

This is to share with you news of 'The Rest of Now' an exhibition
curated by us, the Raqs Media Collective (Jeebesh Bagchi, Monica
Narula and Shuddhabrata Sengupta), at the ex-Alumix factory in
Bolzano / Bozen, for the seventh edition of Manifesta: The European
Biennale of Contemporary Art, which opened in the Trentino-South
Tyrol region of Italy on the 19th of July. The exhibition will stay
open till the 2nd of November, 2008.

Manifesta is an itinerant biennial that changes location every two
years. The  artistic strategies of Manifesta 7 take the landscape,
history, industrial heritage and socio-cultural environment of the
Trentino-South Tyrol region as their points of departure. The five
different venues: - the fortress in Fortezza / Franzensfeste, the
Manifattura Tabacchi in Rovereto; the Ex-Peterlini  factory and the
railway station in Rovereto, the Ex-Alumix factory in Bolzano / Bozen
and the former Central Post Office in Trento - will all be open to
the public for the first time in their new incarnations as spaces for
the exhibition of contemporary art.

The artistic content of each Manifesta is conceived and developed by
a new team of international curators. This edition of Manifesta is
curated by Adam Budak (Graz / Krakow), Anselm Franke (Berlin /
Antwerp) / Hila Peleg (Berlin / Tel Aviv) and Raqs Media Collective
(New Delhi). Adam Budak curates an exhibition titled 'Principle:
Hope' in Rovereto,  Anselm Franke & Hila Peleg curate an exhbition
titled 'The Soul' in Trento and the Raqs Media Collective curate 'The
Rest of Now' in Bolzano / Bozen. The three curatorial teams
collaborate to curate 'Scenarios' at Fortezza / Franzensfeste.

The curators of Manifesta 7 have invited more than 180 participants
from many different parts of the world, with a strong focus on
today's diverse Europe, to present their work in Trentino-South
Tyrol. The curators have invited the artists to respond to the key
curatorial concepts of Manifesta 7, which are inspired by the
region's intricate web of history, modernity and contemporaneity.

To find out more about Manifesta 7, see - http://www.manifesta7.it/

To find out more about the different exhibitions, locations and
artists lists,  see - http://www.manifesta7.it/locations/show/

To find out more about the curators, see - http://www.manifesta7.it/
pages/657763594

We enclose below, our curatorial essay for The Rest of Now. We look
forward to responses, to the essay, and for those of you who have
been, or are planning to travel to Manifesta 7, to the exhibition
itself. This essay has been published in 'The Index' to Manifesta 7,
by Silvana Editoriale, Milan, 2008

regards

Shuddha, Monica and Jeebesh

(Raqs Media Collective)

The Rest of Now

Raqs Media Collective

1.

A hundred years ago, Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, artist, poet and high
priest of a muscular industrial aesthetic, was seriously injured in
an automobile accident on the outskirts of Milan.  During his
convalescence, he wrote a passionate paean to speed, the very force
that had so recently threatened his life. His words, clad in the
brash cadence of the first Futurist Manifesto, ring out as a fanfare
to the velocity of the twentieth century.

 "We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a
new beauty: the beauty of speed... We are on the extreme promontory
of the centuries! What is the use of looking behind at the moment
when we must open the mysterious shutters of the impossible? Time and
Space died yesterday. We are already living in the absolute, since we
have already created eternal, omnipresent speed..."
 A hundred years later, standing inside the disused Alumix factory
in Bolzano/Bozen, which for five decades had been dedicated to the
production of Marinetti's beloved aluminium, hindsight suggests that
we consider a different rhythm. Not the speeding regularity of
architettura razionale, but the soft, syncopation of desuetude.  Let
us rest for now, between an odd and an even beat, and consider what
remains from a century devoted to the breathless pursuit of
tomorrow?s promised riches.
 An empty factory, which once produced aluminium ? the substance of
bombs, aeroplanes and coffee percolators, the metal of speed, death
and light ? is the stage and provocation for us to invoke that which
is left behind when value is extracted from life, time and labour.
Aluminium, which as tinfoil and scaffolding is used for the cladding
of everything from sandwiches to building sites, is also what is
thrown away the moment the sandwich is eaten and the building
finished.  Mountains are flattened to mine bauxite, the main
aluminium ore.  Mountains of aluminium waste may eventually take
their place.  The Alumix factory, like its counterparts all over the
world, is a monument to its own residue.
 Turbines, transformers, motors, smelters, furnaces, production
targets and megawatts of electrical power have long since vacated
this building.  Marinetti?s ?great agitation of work? has departed to
other continents, making room for dust, fungi, and the anticipation
of resurrection.  Manifesta 7 enters the building in this moment of
pause, stealing in between the downtime of industrial abandonment in
the core of Europe and the overture of global capital?s next move.
 The ?rest of now? is the residue that lies at the heart of
contemporaneity. It is what persists from moments of transformation,
and what falls through the cracks of time.  It is history?s obstinate
remainder, haunting each addition and subtraction with arithmetic
persistence, endlessly carrying over what cannot be accounted for.
The rest of now is the excess, which pushes us towards respite,
memory and slowing things down.
 Remembering what has departed, recognizing what is left behind and
preparing for what is yet to arrive means making sense of the
relationship between living and having lived.  It means reading the
things that almost happened, or didn?t quite happen, or that were
simply desired, against the grain of that which is occurring or has
taken place.  Residue is a space of open, uncharted, alterity.  The
residual and the imminent share a paradoxical working solidarity.
 In ?Lance,? a short story about time and space travel, Vladimir
Nabokov wrote, ?the future is but the obsolete in reverse,?
suggesting that even the impulse to hurtle into futurity is always,
already, shadowed by its own imminent obsolescence.  The Alumix
factory, like so much of the twentieth century?s heroic and tragic
dalliance with the future is now a repository of the residual.  What
better place can there be for the rest of now?
2.

 An exhibition is a design in space.  ?The Rest of Now? is also a
figure in time.  In Bolzano/Bozen, the ex-Alumix factory sits nestled
between the elevations of the Dolomite mountains, whose every fold is
a reminder of the fact that industrial time is only a faint ripple on
the surface of geological time.
To draw a figure in time is to inscribe a mark on a difficult and
slippery surface.  As time passes, the reasons to remember grow
stronger, but the ability to recall is weakened.  Memory straddles
this paradox.  We could say that the ethics of memory have something
to do with the urgent negotiation between having to remember (which
sometimes includes the obligation to mourn), and the requirement to
move on (which sometimes includes the necessity to forget).  Both are
necessary, and each is notionally contingent on the abdication of the
other, but life is not led to the easy rhythm of regularly
alternating episodes of memory and forgetting that cancel each other
out in a neat equation that resolves to zero.

Residue is the fulcrum on which the delicate negotiation between
memory and forgetting is undertaken, because it is the unresolved,
lingering aftertaste of an event that triggers the task of retrieving
and dealing with  the difficult of its recollection.  The question of
what is to be done with residue ? should it be burned, buried,
frozen, embalmed, mourned, celebrated, commemorated, carried over,
forgotten or remembered ? haunts us all the time.  It haunts us in
our personal lives as much as it haunts the larger histories we
participate in and draw from.  To draw a figure in time is
necessarily to encounter and reflect on the difficulty of the
residual.  There are no easy answers to the questions posed by residue.

Images are not always the most reliable allies against forgetfulness;
words play tricks with memory. Oblivion is easily accomplished,
especially with the aid of what is usually called restoration, which
makes it possible to ignore or cosmetically invert the action of time
on a physical surface.  Monuments, contrary to the stated intentions
of their construction, abet forgetfulness.  Sometimes the work of art
can be a matter of ensuring that the time it takes to think and
recall difficult questions be given its due; that instead of
purchasing the processed and instant sense of time mined from a
monument we explore the option of accessing the potential of even a
modest memento to destabilize the certitude of the present.

 How can images and objects be brought together in a manner that
helps etch a lingering doubt onto the heart of amnesia?  How can
concepts and experiences that sustain an attitude of vigilance
against the impulse of erasure be expressed as tools to think and
feel with, to work with in the present? How can we remember and
reconsider the world without getting lost in reverie? How can a
meditation on history avoid the stupor of nostalgia? What work must
memory be put to, in order to ensure that we erect, not memorials
that close the roads to further inquiry, but signposts that ask for
more journeys to be undertaken?
 ?The Rest of Now? is an occasion for the asking of these
questions.  It offers both the building blocks of an argument and a
disposition to be alert to the material, cognitive and emotional
consequences of temporal processes.  Underlying the argument and the
disposition is a hunch that the after-image of residue may be a
critique and an antidote to the narrative conceit of progress.  We
can move on only if we understand that the debts we owe to the past
are a long way from being settled, and that we are required to carry
them with us into the future.  We can move on only if we understand
that the future is constituted by the debts we incur in the present.
Residue is an unlikely, but effective, engine.
The artists we have invited to ?The Rest of Now? have responded in a
variety of ways to our proposition.  Coded within their responses are
entire archives of forgotten, retrieved and imagined worlds,
exemplars of practices of persistence and refusal, instances of play,
investigation, questioning and speculation.  Looking out with them,
out of the factory, towards the mountains, this exhibition layers,
leaches, and addles time.  It arrests and thickens time, sows time?s
seeds in a garden, bores time?s holes in masonry, scrapes time?s dust
off a wall, build?s time?s bridge to nowhere, measures time in terms
of detritus, tells stories about the stubborn persistence of things,
people and ways of life that refuse to admit that either their time
is over or that it hasn't yet come.  This exhibition takes time, and
lays it across a long table, makes it climb a high tower, skip a
heartbeat in a tap dance, rise like mist and fall like sunlight, run
like an engine and dance like a worker, sleep like a hill and wake
like a factory, shine, escape and elude capture like the enigmatic
memory of a dead grandmother.

3.

[The extraction of value from any material, place, thing or person,
involves a process of refinement. During this process, the object in
question will undergo a change in state, separating into at least two
substances: an extract and a residue. With respect to residue: it may
be said it is that which never finds its way into the manifest
narrative of how something (an object, a person, a state, or a state
of being) is produced, or comes into existence. It is the
accumulation of all that is left behind, when value is
extracted...There are no histories of residue, no atlases of
abandonment, no memoirs of what a person was but could not be.]

																												 ?With Respect to Residue,? Raqs Media  Collective, 2005

 When faced with any apparently ?abandoned? situation, it quickly
becomes clear that a lot remains.  Even the walls of a shut-down
factory teem with life forms, only some of which are visible to the
eye.  To recognize this is to encounter the fecundity of residue.
 In 1855, the English botanist Richard Deacon published a botanical
study of the ruins of the Flavian amphitheatre in Rome, ?The Flora of
the Colosseum.?  His meticulous and monumental account catalogues the
420 species of vegetation growing in the six acres of the ruined
edifice.  These included several species so rare in Europe at that
time that Deacon speculated that they must have been transported as
seeds in the guts of the animals and slaves imported into Rome from
Africa and Asia for the staging of gladiatorial spectacles.  Deacon
speaks of these rare plants with affection and awe, saying that they
?form a link in the memory, and teach us hopeful and soothing
lessons, amid the sadness of bygone ages: and cold indeed must be the
heart that does not respond to their silent appeal; for though
without speech, they tell us of the regenerating power which animates
the dust of mouldering greatness.?  By 1870, the Colosseum in Rome
had experienced the first of several modern attempts at
?restoration,? and the ancient cosmopolitan exuberance of vegetation
that had been the botanist?s consolation had begun to give way to
naked stone.
The vocabulary of contests and gladiatorials has not changed much in
the last two millennia.  Speed and prowess matter as much as they did
when prisoners, slaves and beasts fought it out in the Colosseum?s
arena.  If anything, the Olympic virtues, ?citius, altius,
fortius? (faster, higher, stronger) have become the governing maxims
of the contemporary world ? the pace of life and labour gets faster,
profits and prices rise higher and armies get stronger.  Our
societies are Colosseums reborn.  We are spectators, gladiators and
beasts.
 The late Alexander Langer, autonomist activist, thinker, maverick
European Green politician, and native of South Tyrol, with his
interest in the residual and his ecological emphasis on slowness,
provides us with an interesting late twentieth century counterpoint
to Marinetti?s cult of speed and the gladiatorial imperative. He
proposed a challenge to the ?citius, altius, fortius? maxim with a
call to consider an alternative trinity of virtues ? ?lentius,
suavius, profundius? (slower, softer, deeper).
For quite some time now, the Olympic virtues have been defended with
armed police pickets all over the world. It becomes necessary, at
times like this to consider a few good reasons and methods to slow
things down, to reclaim the stone with wild seeds.
END

------

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS