Patrice Riemens on Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:41:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Vinton Cerf: A Decade of Internet Evolution

>From the Internet Protocol Journal, vol 11, numberr 2, June 2008
(http://ww.cisco.com/ipj)
(original at: http://tinyurl.com/5rpc4d)

A Decade of Internet Evolution
by Vinton G. Cerf, Google

In 1998 the Internet had about 50 million users, supported by
approximately 25 million servers (Web and e-mail hosting sites, for
example, but not desktops or laptops). In that same year, the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) [1] was created.
Internet companies such as Netscape Communications, Yahoo!, eBay, and
Amazon were already 3 to 4 years old and the Internet was in the middle of
its so-called "dot-boom" period. Google emerged that year as a highly
speculative effort to "organize the world's information and make it
accessible and useful." Investment in anything related to the Internet was
called "irrational exuberance" by the then head of the U.S. Federal
Reserve Bank, Alan Greenspan.

By April 2000, the Internet boom ended—at least in the United
States—and a notable decline in investment in Internet application
providers and infrastructure ensued. Domino effects resulted for router
vendors, Internet service providers, and application providers. An
underlying demand for Internet services remained, however, and it
continued to grow, in part because of the growth in the number of Internet
users worldwide.

During this same period, access to the Internet began to shift from
dial-up speeds (on the order of kilobits to tens of kilobits per second)
to broadband speeds (often measured in megabits per second). New access
technologies such as digital subscriber loops and dedicated fiber raised
consumer expectations of Internet capacity, in turn triggering much
interest in streaming applications such as voice and video. In some
locales, consumers could obtain gigabit access to the Internet (for
example, in Japan and Stockholm). In addition, mobile access increased
rapidly as mobile technology spread throughout the world, especially in
regions where wireline telephony had been slow to develop.

Today the Internet has an estimated 542 million servers and about 1.3
billion users. Of the estimated 3 billion mobile phones in use, about 15
percent are Internet-enabled, adding 450 million devices to the Internet.
In addition, at least 1 billion personal computers are in use, a
significant fraction of which also have access to the Internet. The
diversity of devices and access speeds on the Internet combine to produce
challenges and opportunities for Internet application providers around the
world. Highly variable speeds, display areas, and physical modes of
interaction create a rich but complex canvas on which to develop new
Internet applications and adapt older ones.

Another well-documented but unexpected development during this same decade
is the dramatic increase in user-produced content on the Internet. There
is no question that users contributed strongly to the utility of the
Internet as the World Wide Web made its debut in the early 1990s with a
rapidly growing menu of Web pages.

But higher speeds have encouraged user-produced audio and video archives
(Napster and YouTube), as well as sharing of all forms of digital content
through peer-to-peer protocols. Voice over IP, once a novelty, is very
common, together with video conferencing (iChat from Apple, for example).

Geographically indexed information has also emerged as a major resource
for Internet users. In the scientific realm, Google Earth and Google Maps
are frequently used to display scientific data, sensor measurements, and
so on. Local consumer information is another common theme. When I found
myself in the small town of Page, Arizona, looking for saffron to make
paella while in a houseboat on Lake Powell, a Google search on my
Blackberry quickly identified markets in the area. I called one of them
and verified that it had saffron in stock. I followed the map on the
Website and bought 0.06 ounces of Spanish saffron for about $12.99. This
experience reinforced my belief that having locally useful information at
your fingertips no matter where you are is a powerful ally in daily
living.

New business models based on the economics of digital information are also
emerging. I can recall spending $1,000 for about 10 MB of disk storage in
1979. Recently I purchased 2 TB of disk storage for about $600. If I had
tried to buy 2 TB of disk storage in 1979, it would have cost $200
million, and probably would have outstripped the production capacity of
the supplier. The cost of processing, storing, and transporting digital
information has changed the cost basis for businesses that once required
the physical delivery of objects containing information (books,
newspapers, magazines, CDs, and DVDs). The Internet can deliver this kind
of information in digital form economically—and often more quickly than
physical delivery. Older businesses whose business models are based on the
costs of physical delivery of information must adapt to these new
economics or they may find themselves losing business to online
competitors. (It is interesting to note, however, that the Netflix
business, which delivers DVDs by postal mail, has a respectable data rate
of about 145 kbps per DVD, assuming a 3-day delivery time and about 4.7 GB
per DVD. The CEO of Netflix, Reed Hastings, told me nearly 2 years ago
that he was then shipping about 1.9 million DVDs per day, for an aggregate
data rate of about 275 Gbps!)

Even the media that have traditionally been delivered electronically such
as telephony, television, and radio are being changed by digital
technology and the Internet. These media can now be delivered from
countless sources to equally countless destinations over the Internet. It
is common to think of these media as being delivered in streaming modes
(that is, packets delivered in real time), but this need not be the case
for material that has been prerecorded. Users of iPods have already
discovered that they can download music faster than they can listen to it.

With gigabit access to the Internet, one could download an hour's worth of
conventional video in about 16 seconds. This fact certainly changes my
understanding of "video on demand" from a streaming delivery to a file
transfer. The latter is much easier on the Internet because one is not
concerned about packet inter-arrival times (jitter), loss, or even orderly
delivery because the packets can be reordered and retransmitted during the
file transfer. I am told that about 10 hours of video are being uploaded
to YouTube per second.

The battles over Quality of Service (QoS) are probably not over yet
either. Services such as Skype and applications such as iChat from Apple
demonstrate the feasibility of credible, real-time audio and video
conferencing on the "best-efforts" public Internet. I have been surprised
by the quality that is possible when both parties have reasonably
high-capacity access to the Internet.

Technorati is said to be tracking on the order of 112 million blogs, and
the China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC) estimates 72 million
Chinese blogs that are probably in addition to those tracked by
Technorati. Adding to these are billions of Web pages and, perhaps even
more significant, an unknown amount of information online in the form of
large databases. The latter are not indexed in the same way that Web pages
can be, but probably contain more information. Think about high-energy
physics information, images from the Hubble and other telescopes, radio
telescope data including the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence
(SETI) [2], and you quickly conclude that our modern society is awash in
digital information.

It seems fair to ask how long accessibility of this information is likely
to continue. By this question I do not mean that it may be lost from the
Internet but, rather, that we may lose the ability to interpret it. I have
already encountered such problems with image files whose formats are old
and whose interpretation by newer software may not be possible. Similarly,
I have ASCII text files from more than 20 years ago that I can still read,
but I no longer have operating software that can interpret the formatting
instructions to produce a nicely formatted page. I sometimes think of this
problem as the "year 3000" problem: It is the year 3000 and I have just
finished a Google search and found a PowerPoint 1997 file. Assuming I am
running Windows 3000, it is a fair question whether the format of this
file will still be interpretable. This problem would arise even if I were
using open-source software. It seems unlikely that application software
will last 1000 years in the normal course of events unless we deliberately
take steps to preserve our ability to interpret digital content. Absent
such actions, we will find ourselves awash in a sea of rotting bits whose
meaning has long since been lost.

This problem is not trivial because questions will arise about
intellectual property protection of the application, and even the
operating system software involved. If a company goes out of business or
asserts that it will no longer support a particular version of an
application or operating system, do we need new regulations that require
this software to be available on the public Internet in some way?

Even if we have skirted this problem in the past by rendering information
into printed form, or microfilm, the complexity of digital objects is
increasing. Consider spreadsheets or other complex objects that really
cannot be fully "rendered" without the assistance of application software.
So it will not be adequate simply to print or render information in other
long-lived media formats. We really will need to preserve our ability to
read and interpret bits.

The year 2008 also marks the tenth anniversary of a project that started
at the U.S. Jet Propulsion Laboratory: The Interplanetary Internet. This
effort began as a protocol design exercise to see what would have to
change to make Internet-like capability available to manned and robotic
spacecraft. The idea was to develop networking technology that would
provide to the space exploration field the kind of rich and interoperable
networking between spacecraft of any (Earth) origin that we enjoy between
devices on the Internet.

The design team quickly recognized that the standard TCP/IP protocols
would not overcome some of the long delays and disruptions to be expected
in deep space communication. A new set of protocols evolved that could
operate above the conventional Internet or on underlying transport
protocols more suited to long delays and disruption. Called "delay and
disruption tolerant networking" [3, 4] or DTN, this suite of protocols is
layered in the same abstract way as the Internet. The Interplanetary
system could be thought of as a network of Internets, although it is not
constrained to use conventional Internet protocols. The analog of IP is
called the Bundle Protocol [5], and this protocol can run above TCP or the
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) or the new Licklider Transport Protocol (for
deep space application). Ironically, the DTN protocol suite has also
proven to be useful for terrestrial applications in which delay and
disruption are common: tactical military communication and civilian mobile
communication.

After 10 years of work, the DTN system will be tested onboard the Deep
Impact mission platform late in 2008 as part of a program to qualify the
new technology for use in future space missions. It is hoped that this
protocol suite can be standardized for use by any of the world's space
agencies so that spacecraft from any country will be interoperable with
spacecraft of other countries and available to support new missions if
they are still operational and have completed their primary missions. Such
a situation already exists on Mars, where the Rovers are using previously
launched orbital satellites to relay information to Earth's Deep Space
Network using store-and-forward techniques like those common to the
Internet.

The Internet has gone from dial-up to deep space in just the past 10
years. One can only begin to speculate about its application and condition
10 years hence. We will all have to keep our subscriptions to The Internet
Protocol Journal to find out!