Patrice Riemens on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:44:41 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Chris Wilson on Google Broadband for Africa

Spotted by our Google World Domination Project Observatory
;-)

bwo wsfii discussion list

----- Forwarded message from Chris Wilson <chris@aptivate.org> -----

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 23:49:54 +0100 (BST)
From: Chris Wilson <chris@aptivate.org>
To: World Summit on Free Information Infrastructure
	<wsfii-discuss@lists.okfn.org>
Subject: [wsfii-discuss] Google Broadband

Hi all,

According to FT and other sources, Google has announced their support for a new
initiative called O3B to "bring internet access to 3bn people in Africa and
other emerging markets by launching at least 16 satellites to bring its
services to the unconnected" in 2010.

"They will... order 16 low-earth orbit satellites... as the first stage in a
$750m project to connect mobile masts in a swath of countries within 45 degrees
of the equator to fast broadband networks... the project could bring the cost
of bandwidth in such markets down by 95 per cent."

I've written a critical review on on our new (personal) blog at:
http://tinderblog.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/google-broadband/
Please feel free to read more and comment there.

Ermanno Pietrosemoli commented: "I am very much excited about the
possibility of using this transport technology in combination with
community wireless access (WiFi extensions or even proprietary techniques)
to provide a complete communication solution for developing countries at
affordable cost, bypassing traditional carriers, provided that the
frequency availability issue can be solved."

Thanks, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.