John Jordan on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:07:07 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Inside Networked Movements: Interview with Jeffrey Juris

There again we could all begin to look at history in a non linear
way , without central moments and cause and effect, - as rebecca
Solnit so beautifully put it in her wonderful little book "hope in
the Dark" - "Cause and effect assumes history marches forward, but
history is not an army. It is a crab  scuttling sideways, a drip of
soft water wearing away stone, an earthquake breaking centuries of
tension. Sometimes one person inspires a movement, or her words do
decades later; sometimes a few passionate people change the world;
sometimes they start a mass movement and millions do; sometimes those
millions are stirred by the same outrage or the same ideal and change
comes  upon us like a change of weather"

The uniqueness of the mid to late 90's movements was that it was a
series of simultaneous events that emerged across time and space...
we could say that these movements  started on news years day 1994
with the Zapatista Uprising, or June 18th day of global action 1999
( also first use of indymedia type software, simultaneous actions
across the world etc.) or Apec 97, or Seattle, or the WTO actions in
Geneva in 1998 .( see http://www.weareeverywhere.org/ for non linear
historical versions of the movements) .

BUT maybe we will be closer to a vision of the worlds and logic that
these movements were/are prefiguring if we stopped thinking of
history,life, culture, our bodies etc as mechanical machines with a
beginning and an end, a centre and a periphery, an origin and
finality - but as networks and fields of events ( see Sheldrake -
http://www.sheldrake.org/Articles&Papers/papers/morphic/
morphic_intro.html) that often take place simultaneously and build
together like an intelligent flock of birds without leaders or maps
to navigate......

the last few days of global meltdown should have shown us that there
is no centre anymore.....thank god ( who is not at the centre !!!)

the revolution will be when we have shaken off this logic of cause
and effect and we cant see the world as a series of objects and
moments anymore, but a series of changing relationships....that dont
always behave like we were told they would.....

JJXX

On 10 Oct 2008, at 19:51, > ! < wrote:

>>Inside Networked Movements
>>Interview with Jeffrey Juris
>>By Geert Lovink
>>
>>Jeffrey Juris wrote an excellent insiders? story about the ?other
>>globalization? movement. Networking Futures is an anthropological
>>account that starts with the Seattle protests, late 1999,
>
>Fascinating that Seattle still gets the attention when all the  groundwork
>was laid at APEC '97 in Vancouver, especially in terms of the  foundations
>of Indymedia, use of radio, cellphones, 2-way radios and online media,
>strategic protest, coalitions, resurgence of anarcho-SI tactics and  the
>issue at stake that defined the alter-globalization movement. But hey,
>anything that happens in the US is always big news. For those  interested
>in the 2 years of planning that led up to Seattle, read up on APEC:
 <...>

?Only People serving an apprentiship to nature can be trusted with
machines. Only such people will so contrive and control those
machines that their products are an enhancement of biological needs,
and not a denial of them.?

Herbert Read ? The Grass Roots of Art

our latest project www.utopias.eu

And still building movements to stop capitalism toasting life on
earth www.climatecamp.org.uk