Ana Peraica on Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:12:23 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Croatian Facebook Group Results in Arrest

Copy-pasting an article...

best
Ana

http://www.allfacebook.com/2008/11/croatia-facebook-protest/

Following the actions of U.S. Facebook users isn’t a good idea in other
countries, especially Croatia. Niksa Klecak, a Croatian Facebook user
decided to create a group protesting the country’s Prime Minister, Ivo
Sanader, after seeing the group, “I bet I can find 1,000,000 people who
dislike George Bush! <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5022036305>”
surpass 1 million users.

Klecak’s group, “I bet I can find 5,000 people that hate the Prime
minister <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9178553158>” has already
surpassed its target size. I doubt Klecak will be updating the title of
the group anytime soon though as Svetlana Gladkova reports
<http://profy.com/2008/11/29/man-arrested-for-creating-a-facebook-group-in-croatia/>
that he has since been arrested. Prime Minister Sanader has been under
extreme pressure as a direct result of the global financial crisis.
According to Gladkova, he has even stated “publicly that he would not
allow the wages in the country to grow.”

Croatia currently has over 400,000 users on Facebook and that is more
than a 15 percent growth over last month according to our own internal
statistics. Facebook tends to be one of the first locations that younger
generations turn to for expressing their political frustrations. There
is no doubt that Facebook will continue to be a center for political
expression.

Svetlana Gladkova suggests that the primary reason he was arrested was
not simply that he created the Facebook group but that, “he is actually
the president of one of the local branches of the youth of SDP (social
democratic party) which is in opposition to the government in Croatia.”
Niksa Klecak was eventually released due to a lack of evidence after
being initially arrested for keeping “Nazi symbols and propaganda at home.”

Initially I was confused about why it was illegal but commenters have
since reminded me about certain laws in Europe banning Nazi
paraphernalia. I’m sure we’ll here more about it in the coming days.
Regardless of what exactly took place, it’s clear that there is tension
between citizens of Croatia and the government based on activities
taking place on Facebook. This tension has erupted in other countries
around the world as Facebook has become an effective tool for spreading
Democratic ideals and individual freedom.