Saskia Sassen on Thu, 4 Dec 2008 05:59:37 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Saskia Sassen: Cities and new wars: after Mumbai

hi, thanks for the comments. very helpful! and here two comments that
might help clarify.(please excuse the allthe typos. i wrote this at
great speed becasue i wanted to get it out right aftr i read
M.Goldhaber's comments. I agre with much of what Michael says re
history of cities, and i accept his scepticism about my new study. it
is a bit experimental indeed. but eachone of my porjects has entailed
going out on a wing a bit.

1) I am mostly interested in the modern period, and specifically in
the notion of the growth of asymmetric armed conflict and global
warming. I wish I could deal with older histories of cities, and
city-states. but I can't/ I am not a historian etc.. Further I am
particularly interested in how the civic in this modern period was
constructed  (the civic is ocnstructed differently in different
periods and places).

We might use public infrastructures and the welfare state as a standin
for hta fuzzy concept "the civic." A working public health or
transport system has to override the little and bid differences that
feed racisms, intolerances etc. So it can be a sort of model. My
question then is: does that stil work todya?  and my second question
is: are there challenges today that are larger than our differences
of religion, race, and the hatreds these can produce. (For instance,
global warming will hit coastal cities hard and if we are going to be
serious about reducing the damage, we wil have to work at it together,
no matter our differences; or, a kind of denationalized culture we see
emerge in larger cities is allowing young people to experience life
and their surroundings in far less racializing and gednered ways than
older generations. this may not be  amajority culture, but it is an
emergent powerful trend.

2) It has been my practice to study the x  not in terms of the
characteristics of the x, but also, and often especially, in terms of
the non-x conditions and forces within which that x is embedded or
from which it arises. So, with Mumbai, that means I do not simply wnat
to think of Mumbai in terms of the old and new terrorisms, and
religious hatreds that have marked the region. that is part of it,
very importantly , it markes the specificty of that attck. But does it
explain in ways that open up the x. I want to consider the possibility
that we are dealing with deeper systemic shifts, and that cities and
nonasymmetric conflicts capture something, make something legible
about those deeper transformations.  ((on the x vs non-x approach, i
elaborate in ch 1 of my Territory, Authority, Rights book

thanks for the chance to think a bit more about this new project of mine.
saskia

Saskia Sassen
Robert S.Lynd Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology
and
Committee on Global Thought
Columbia University
422 Fayerweather Hall
1180 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY  10027
USA
T - 212.854.0790
F - 212.854.2963
E/M - sjs2@columbia.edu
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/sociology

Quoting Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com>:

>Though I have long been an admirer of Saskia Sassen, I don't find this
>particular piece to be very well thought out. Cities by their very
>nature contain large numbers of people in close proximity and always
>have. This makes and has always made them both possible centers of
>insurrection and difficult to control or conquer from without. An enemy
>entering a city either must come close to destroying it and its
>population or is likely to face endless surprise, sabotage and reprisal
>from within. That is why, historically, enemies often besieged cities
 <...>