mazzetta on Fri, 5 Dec 2008 04:23:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Saskia Sassen: Cities and new wars: after Mumbai

Saskia Sassen ha scritto:
> i agree--my starting point, when i try to open a field is: what are we
> trying to name when we use the term: globlaization, citizenship, the
> nationale, etc.
> The project i am developing now asks this about terms like "war" and "city."
>
> both  are words deeply embedded in particular, albeit globally
> present, histories. Further, the current instances we have been
> describing here, resist the conventional meanings: so it is easy to
> use terms such as terrorism becasue this is a war that does not fit
> war as in word war 2 (though of course, there were lots of instances
> that fit into today's "terrorism" bit.
> Question then is whether  these current situations are anomalous
> (which i think is the easiest way out of a problematic, and I resist
> going that way), or become heuristic (in the sense of producing
> knowledge about  the terms themselves: war and city.

I think, dealing with wars, that we're seeing anything anomalous
Following changes in western warfare, the frontline disappeared well
before the appearance of 21th century "terrorism", this has driven
changes in fights much more than any brainstorming on how to wage war
against an overwhelming power
Most, i cannot see main differences between the so-called islamic
terrorism and others fightings formerly seen in action. As different
palestinian approaches weren't so original, we can consider qaeda-style
actions as non-original at all. Just remember many national resistances
in the 20th century and you'll find many examples that suggest we're not
seeing nothing new or original. Suicide attack tactics too are not new,
nor original. Just note, then, that despite a billion of potential
"terrorists", the attacks as in Mumbai, London or 9/11, have resulted in
a very small number, that is to say that there cannot be a broad
consensus on this kind of operation, nor lots of people ready and
trained to do it.
More, 9/11 has been a unicum in its magnitude, but it was an upgrading
of former attempt at WTC on 1993.Other terrorist attacks waged by
"islamist", also had nothing more than an ordinary Columbine or an
Oklahoma bombing. Nothing new, nothing "ethnic".

What is new, or at least evolving, is what martin Shaw defines "The new
western way of war", the transition from the industrial warfare against
national actors, to a modern range of conflicts against groups or
enemies. We didn't have a war -against- Iraq or Afghanistan, but wars
chasing small enemy elites. The western way of war is played on three
main battlefields, adding to the military one those represented by media
and economy. You can wage a framed limited war, when you win public
opinion and when you do not upset your economy waging war.

Winning the military confrontation was not enough for USA, when it's
been defated by the collaps of its poor propaganda, Bush' administration
knew it had lost the war despite the huge effort in courting the
economic environment had been succesfull untill then. On the other front
the same awareness boosted military efforts and draw new people and
energy in the fight, even if it's evident they could never overcome US'
armies on battlefield. Asymmetrical war is such on the economic and
media battlefield too, modern western warfare needs to keep economy
running as always, while on the enemy field there's only the economic
need about funding militants. Western propaganda, moving from supposed
good reasons, cannot lie without loosing moral authority, a problem that
the "bad guy" evidently have not, dealing with western public opinion.

Obviously in this frame "the enemy" relies more in rocking media and
economy battlefields, important victories can be achieved with small
military operations aimed at "soft targets", well covered by media,
financial knots and roaring cities fit perfectly the need about shooting
at media and economy, but i cannot see it as a war to cities o
peculiarly inside them

But it's not so easy at war, nor for the bad guys, and even they've been
able to rock western propaganda, they're loosing consensus between their
supporters, even if they already are a flag for many people suffering
wars globalization and occupation, they loose their grip on public
opinions exactly as their enemies do, maybe because they're so similar.

Coming to city, undoubtedly is where tensions rise and sometimes
explode, but dealing with war and cities I'd draw a line between wars
waged by an alien entity and wars & conflicts generated inside the
cities, or civil wars. As underlined by Mike Davis in -Planet of slums-
there are lot of people reasoning on how to wage war -in- a city, more
than to a city, presuming large revolts from inside.

War is an ancient human activity, often practiced by little men, in my
opinion is more than mature and I cannot see any shift towards
fundamental evolutions, Falluja has been destroyed as Dresda or other
cities and you already cannot win war against a city without destroying
it, the other single option drives to a mutual endless entrapment in
which the city is jailed, but not won. That's to say that if i cannot
see any evolution, apart from mere technical ones, in waging war to a city.
I'm much more worried about plannings on new ways to control cities and
their inhabitants, drafted from a inner perspective by people thinking
to the city as the main battlefield of a domestic fight for power and
privileges