nettime's_indigestive_system on Sun, 1 Feb 2009 03:17:15 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> sondheimography digest x5: frank x1, sondheim x4

frank <bitte@gmx.de>
     Re: <nettime> sondheimogram [x4: looking/whirr, when, check out 2L,

Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>
     theory packed analysis
     Weather, Sync, and Physics in SL from yesterday
     The Newborn Age
     (My review of Jon's Marshall's book among other things): RCCS:

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:32:40 +0100
From: frank <bitte@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: <nettime> sondheimogram [x4: looking/whirr, when, check out 2L,

wtf?

Alan Sondheim schrieb:

>                [digested @ nettime --mod(tb)]
>
> Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>
>
>      looking for aylan whirr whirr whirr
>      when the meet
>      Check out installation in Second Life by DC Spensley (fwd)
>      Complaynte of Numbers
 <...>

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:24:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>
Subject: theory packed analysis

theory packed analysis

the physics engines in virtual worlds lead to holes and confusions; what-
isthis i don't know, something swooped by; it's probably one of mine
however ownership is defined; in telejump incremental teleports tending
towards the same location consistently jump the avatar around on what
might be considered an acre of space or so; the jumps appear random; they
have to be determined; there's no weather only whether; that's more
profound than it might seem to be; on first reading; after a while working
in these space you pay more attention to the tropes; i remember our first
travels in the everglades; we'd look at the alligators and larger fauna in
general; after a while we were down to the level of insects and periphy-
ton; our living in the world changed in relation to the increasing depth
of our knowledge of the land; going from macro- to micro-scopic; beginning
to comprehend the skein of that part of the world; in second life some-
thing similar happens but to a lesser degree; there's nothing all the way
down or rather the plateau is shallower; that makes virtual worlds all the
safer; not to mention the lack of alterity, at last so far; you can always
log out; nothing follows you; you're always already in the process of
being-born; there's no annihilation; you might disappear for a while; you
might in fact vanish; what jon marshall calls 'ascence'; the states are
always mixed, superimposed, in-between; but without depth; there's no
laterality; no continuum; so the symptoms themselves become obdurate; as
if there were a depleted and impoverished granularity to the world; that
granularity and no further; for that matter the physics itself peters out;
you wouldn't get for example quantum phenomena on the scale of the bit; or
at least you might get at best some sort of formulaic approach; on the
other hand the grain of space-time might well meet the grain of gamespace;
on the order of dozens of magnitudes smaller; where you're playing is safe
that way; there's no holes to fall through; games survive miraculous hacks
but they don't survive corporate collapse; except as remnants or reminders
of saved databases; saved in part; like the programmed texts in moos or
muds; so i'm a virtual-worker like a sex-worker or cultural- worker; so in
clearing grounds or trying out one thing or another i notice stuff; like
the texture moving by at high speed or the avatar telejump to nowhere as
if it were out of control; that's perception for you; one might think if
one believed anything that god was a game-engine; that's not in the
subjunctive; so a virtual-worker gives hirself to the game; hir safe-self;
there's no turtles all the way down; the void is parameterized; for that
matter emptiness; which takes on the quality of an ontology within the
virtual; that much is clear;

http://www.alansondheim.org/telejump.mov
http://www.alansondheim.org/whatisthis.png