marc garrett on Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:33:05 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> WHO ARE THE SPIES? WE ARE THE SPIES!

WHO ARE THE SPIES? WE ARE THE SPIES!

Franz Thalmair interviews Daphne Dragona.

'Tag ties and affective spies' is the title of an on-line-exhibition
which presents a selection of Internet-based artworks that highlight
different aspects of the Social Web.

The exhibition features works by Alessandro Ludovico , Christophe Bruno
, Daphne Dragona, Gregory Chatonsky, Jodi, Jonathan Harris, Juan Martin
Prada, Les Liens Invisibles, Paolo Cirio, Personal Cinema, Ramsay
Stirling, Sep Kamvar, The erasers, and Wayne Clements.

"Tagging", "posting", "sharing", "commenting", "rating" and ... once
again, the other way around: affective and opinion-driven practices of
exchange seem to be essential key issues for the everyday behaviour on
the so called Social Web. But, what happens with us, the users of
commercially hosted platforms, when we share our experiences and comment
on opinions and statements brought in by other users? Do those
mechanisms of interaction have any effect on the clever systems of
pre-defined templates we move in? Tag ties and affective spies is the
title of an online-exhibition which presents a selection of
Internet-based artworks that highlight different aspects of the Social
Web. With the exhibition, hosted by the National Museum of Contemporary
Art Athens (EMST), curator of the show Daphne Dragona asks if we are
really connecting or if we are also forming the structure of the Social
Web itself?

http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=343