Matze Schmidt on Fri, 1 May 2009 15:52:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Debating German Media Theory in Siegen

No "Geist" at all? There, was -- since I remember from an
outside/inside point of view, sitting in Kassel at the WZ2 (Center
for Cultural Studies) at that time with deep (let's say traditional)
institutional connections to Berlin -- a lot of Hegel. And, as
far I as see now with historical distance, much of Verschiebung
(shifting and displacement) in the theories 'around' Kittler (and
anti-kittler!), namely from a marxist economical approach to societies
means and conditions in the echoic era after May 1968 to media, its
machines without Bedeutung (meaning) and means and conditions. You may
find these shifts even in the jargon and in any case in the approaches
itself which were to break up social automatisms.