Arthur Clay on Sun, 24 May 2009 18:57:10 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> New Media art

Much of the writing that I have been reading seems to be reflecting
back on something that has definitely past. In any case, there seems
to be a feeling of nostalgia that permeates through out all of it.
Whether New Media survives as an art form, whether the departments
supporting it will exist, or whether galleries will accept it as part
of or not part of a fine arts movements, is to me of less importance
than the absence of a feeling that one is doing something of personal
value and something that triggers a spark in the social network around
us. Could one compare New Media’s present situation to the difference
between late Coltrane versus late Michael Jackson? Legacy versus flop.
Basically I feel that New Media is dissolving itself into a greater
field, just as artificial intelligence has brought new fields of
research, which have become more important than the earlier goals that
AI set.  New Media is being usurped into the area of Mixed Media and
this is due not only because Mixed Media frees an artist up and is
more relevant to the pedagogical interests of an art institute, but
just because, as with AI, other areas of research have appeared into
the arts schools curriculum and are better defined. Departments such
as “Interactive Design”, “Media Informatics”, etc seem to accommodate
student profiles better. Also, there is some application to industry
needs that just might provide the outside funding, which seems to
elude the New Media Departments of today. Welcome to the graveyard.

Am 23.05.2009 um 15:04 schrieb Alan Sondheim:

> already screwed up, the message is gone but wanted to make a few
> comments
> on Florian's reply, misquotes are that w/ apologies>

<....>