marc garrett on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:49:27 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "We Wont Fly for Art" pledge has only one day left to run.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response.

I understand and appreciate your position regarding the
survival/existence of an artist in this modern day world. Yet, in
contrast to the larger context of travel (not just air flights),
around the world - it is up to individuals and groups to take
responsibility. In what manner this is, is of course up to them.

We wanted to make a personal sacrifice, a gesture in some kind of way.
Yes, the decision halts certain progressions and advantages through
the six month duration, but it has also forced ourselves to slow down
in respect of international travel and explore more local events,
projects and communities in our own culture. It's amazing what appears
around you when one's gaze is retuned.

Anyway - beyond the controversy there is fruitful dialogue :-)

If anyone is interested, here is a link to discussions on the
Netbehaviour.org mailing list on the subject:
http://www.mail-archive.com/netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org/msg06995.html

Wishing you well.

marc

Furtherfield - online media arts community.
http://www.furtherfield.org

HTTP Gallery - physical media arts Gallery (London).
http://www.http.uk.net

Furthernoise - online media arts music community.
http://www.furthernoise.org

Netbehaviour - email list community for discussion.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

Furtherfield Blog - shared space for personal reflections on media art
practice.
http://blog.furtherfield.org

VisitorsStudio - real-time, multi-user, online arena for creative 'many
to many' dialogue, networked performance and collaborative polemic.
http://www.visitorsstudio.org