nettime's_digestive_system on Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:12:37 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Zizek on feeding the trolls digest [x6: Desrenards, Recktwenwald, O'Doherty (2), van Weelden, Schmidt]

Re: <nettime> Zizek on Iran
     Louise Desrenards <louise.desrenards@free.fr>
Re: <nettime> Zizek on Iran (kitsch)
     Heiko Recktenwald <heikorecktenwald@googlemail.com>
     Peter O'Doherty <mail@peterodoherty.net>
Re: <nettime> Zizek on The Netherlands (Matze Schmidt)
     Willem van Weelden <w.v.weelden@chello.nl>
Re[2]: <nettime> Zizek on The Netherlands (Matze Schmidt)
     Matze Schmidt <matze.schmidt@n0name.de>

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:39:16 +0200
Subject: Re: <nettime> Zizek on Iran
From: Louise Desrenards <louise.desrenards@free.fr>

Absolutely relevant at my view
Thank You fot this text

2009/6/25 geert lovink <geert@desk.nl>

> (fwd. from lbo-talk. /geert)
>
> Here's an article by Zizek that was turned down by the NY Times and is
> now making the rounds:
>
> WILL THE CAT ABOVE THE PRECIPICE FALL DOWN?
>
> Slavoj Zizek
>
> When an authoritarian regime approaches its final crisis, its  dissolution
 <...>

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 16:00:41 +0200
From: Heiko Recktenwald <heikorecktenwald@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Zizek on Iran (kitsch)

Peter O'Doherty schrieb:

> Wow. What a load of nonsense! Perhaps Matze Schmidt should do some fact
> checking before subjecting us to this ridiculous trope on Zizek's real
> article.
>
> http://itself.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/will-the-cat-above-the-precipice-fall-down/

I think it was published in the FAZ. But it does not convince me completely.

Lets face it: Mousavi had TWO agendas. One agenda was: "more freedom,
more rule of law, a bigger role for women in society" etc. This is the
agenda that counts today.

Allthough it is not made clear by Mousavi and supporters. Like it or
not, Mousavi has no clear message. People in Iran dont know what they
are fighting for, except their right to express their feelings. A
feeling is not yet any political message. And twitter is no tool for
things like that. The "Sea of Green" needs some discussion, reflection
of things that are important and reachable, better rule of law etc, and
things that are not, off the street. This is the direction into which
things will develop and this is a good sign.

The other agenda was "the image of Iran in the world is bad, lets
improve it" sotosay an answer to Obama who said similar things on the
U.S. of Bush. This was an insult to all "proud Iranians", freedom loving
or not.

Zizek believes that the elections were basically "rigged".

His main argument is that the high participation is a prove of
"protest". According to Zizek "protest" is the only possible
explanation. But he fails to admit that we dont know what the voters
were protesting against. They could as well have protested against
Mousavi. Imagine Mullahs telling people that Mousavi is a danger and
they went en masse into the election offices to prevent him from winning.

The role of Neda is typical for those "Green Policies". Was she a
martyr? She was shot dead, yes, but it is not shure that she was
fighting for anything. Without such a fight no martyr according to
Christian tradition, allthough Muslim martyrdom may be different. See
Gaza etc.

Nadas fiance said, according to an interview, that she was just curious.
Then her dead would be just something like an accident, at least in
Christian tradition, no martyrdom.

Politics cannot be based on kitsch. That Neda or some people in Gaza
were no martyrs does not change anything of the fact that they are dead.
That they are dead is terrible enough, the IDF, the Basiji, allways the
same. We dont have to make the things bigger. Less is more!

The Wall Street Journal had an overview over the elements of the Islamic
constitution of Iran. It is surprising what people are allowed to vote
for. And as we know now not all Mullahs are the same.

H.

Oh, I quite agree. Zizek's article is definitely flawed but my criticism
was more the transplantation of the analysis into a Dutch context,
whether humorously intended or not.
Peter

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Peter O'Doherty schrieb:
>> Wow. What a load of nonsense! Perhaps Matze Schmidt should do some fact
>> checking before subjecting us to this ridiculous trope on Zizek's
>> real article.
>>
>> http://itself.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/will-the-cat-above-the-precipice-fall-down/
>>
> I think it was published in the FAZ. But it does not convince me
> completely.
 <...>

--
Peter O'Doherty -> peterodoherty.net