Florian Cramer on Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:35:33 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Has Facebook superseded Nettime?

For about two years, I've noted that a sizable part of the media
artistic, -activist and -scholarly community that makes up Nettime has
moved to Facebook, in the sense of being more active and networked there
than here. At the same time, there seems to no public discussion of
this fact, making Facebook an elephant in the room. I'm speculating that
Facebook is seen as a friendlier environment - but nobody dares to
mention it because, among others, it's a corporate site built on blatant
user data mining [see http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=863] with
scary surveillance and privacy implications.

What is the solution? Is something like Facebook needed, but as a
decentralized, non-data-minable, user-owned system?

-F

--
blog:     http://en.pleintekst.nl
homepage: http://cramer.pleintekst.nl:70