Frederick Noronha [ààààààà ààààààà] ÙØÙØØÙÙ ÙÙØÙÙÙØ on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:07:44 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Check out this network: CopySouth

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: A.C.Story <A.C.Story@kent.ac.uk>
Date: 2009/9/27
Subject: [CopySouth] Breaking the ice / Rompiendo el hielo
To: "copysouth@copysouth.org" <copysouth@copysouth.org>
Cc: "acs3@kent.ac.uk" <A.C.Story@kent.ac.uk>

First in English, luego en espaÃol

Someone has to âbreak the iceâ on a new list and so I will.

Debbie Halbert, one of the listâs two moderators, has just told me
that we now have 67 people on this list. They are from many countries
and from six continents; if you know anybody from Antarctica, we will
have them all. So we have a good potential to open up a valuable
discussion and debate about the issues that concern this list.

What are these issues? They are copyright and related issues in the
global South. To be clear: we are interested in FAR MORE than
copyright law. We want to get into a whole range of questions such as
cultural diversity, who benefits from the copyright system, and how
this oppressive system stops us from communicating with each other,
sharing what we know, and learning from others. And we also want to
figure out ways that we can work together. That work may be
researching the above questions and others or it may be taking
practical action. BOTH are badly needed.

Just a few introductory comments:

a) Some of us on this new list know each other and some of us do not.
So in your FIRST POST to the list, can you include one or two
sentences about who you are. In this spirit, let me say:

My name is Alan Story. I live in Whitstable in the United Kingdom and
I teach intellectual property law at the University of Kent. I have
been in CopySouth for a number of years.

b) All posts to the list should be sent in at least English and
Spanish. How to translate your message into other language? Do it
yourself or use one of the online translators, such as:

http://translate.google.com/translate_t#<http://translate.google.com/translate_t>
http://www.online-translator.com/text_Translation.aspx
http://www.euroresidentes.com/translation/spanish_english_translation.htm

If you speak and write in another language, such as Portuguese or
Urdu, please translate it twice.

Machine translation is far from perfect. But it does allow a certain
level of communications between people who speak different languages.
The first CopySouth list used such machine translation for more than
12 months. We had very few problems. A multi-language list respects
the languages of its members and allows a type of global
communications which very few lists permit.

A few tips for the best possible translation:
1) Keep the sentences shorter than normal.
2) Keep the sentence structure simpler than normal; sentences with two
or three clauses tend to blow the computerâs brain;
3) Before sending your original message to the translation machine,
check it for spelling mistakes and typographical errors.

c) The value of an e-mail list is almost entirely dependent on the
quality of the messages sent in to it and the quality of the debate
that occurs. We have high hopes for the value of this list.

d) Pay a visit to our new website,
www.copysouth.org<http://www.copysouth.org/>
<http://www.copysouth.org/> .With the assistance of others, it was
created by Fatima Lasay of CopySouth, another one of the moderators of
this list, and it was opened up just last week.

Pass on this link to friends and colleagues. And also consider posting
your own article or suggesting good articles written by others.

ÂI have some things I want to say about the subject of copyright
piracy. But I will wait for another day. ÂIt is now your turn.

Best wishes
Alan
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

En primer lugar, en InglÃs, luego en espaÃol:

Alguien tiene que hacerlo? Romper el hielo? en una nueva lista y asà lo harÃ.

Debbie Halbert, uno de la lista? S dos moderadores, me acaba de decir
que ahora tenemos a 67 personas en esta lista. Son de muchos paÃses y
de seis continentes, si conoces a alguien de la AntÃrtida, tendremos a
todos. Asà que tenemos un buen potencial para abrir una valiosa
discusiÃn y el debate sobre las cuestiones que esta lista de
preocupaciÃn.

ÂCuÃles son estos problemas? Son los derechos de autor y cuestiones
conexas en el Sur global. Para ser claro: nos interesa mucho mÃs que
el derecho de autor. Queremos llegar a toda una serie de cuestiones
tales como la diversidad cultural, que se beneficia del sistema de
derechos de autor, y cÃmo este sistema de opresiÃn que nos impide
comunicar unos con otros, compartir lo que sabemos, y aprender de
otros. Y tambiÃn queremos encontrar formas de que podemos trabajar
juntos. Esa labor puede ser la investigaciÃn de las preguntas
anteriores y otros o puede ser la adopciÃn de medidas prÃcticas. Ambos
son muy necesarios.

SÃlo unas pocas observaciones de introducciÃn:

a) Algunas de nosotros en esta nueva lista se conocen entre sà y
algunos de nosotros no. Asà que en su primer mensaje a la lista, se
puede incluir una o dos frases acerca de quiÃn es usted. En este
espÃritu, quiero decir:

Mi nombre es Alan Story. Yo vivo en Whitstable en el Reino Unido y la
enseÃanza del derecho de propiedad intelectual en la Universidad de
Kent. He estado en CopySouth para un nÃmero de aÃos.

b) Todos los puestos de la lista debe ser enviada por lo menos en
InglÃs y EspaÃol. ÂCÃmo traducir su mensaje en otro idioma? HÃgalo
usted mismo o utilizar uno de los traductores en lÃnea, tales como:

http://translate.google.com/translate_t #

http://www.online-translator.com/text_Translation.aspx

http://www.euroresidentes.com/translation/spanish_english_translation.htm

Si hablar y escribir en otro idioma, como el portuguÃs o el urdu, por
favor traduce en dos ocasiones.

La traducciÃn automÃtica no es perfecta. Sin embargo, sà permite un
cierto nivel de comunicaciones entre personas que hablan idiomas
diferentes. La lista CopySouth utilizà por primera vez la traducciÃn
automÃtica como por mÃs de 12 meses. Hemos tenido muy pocos problemas.
Una lista de varios idiomas respeta los idiomas de sus miembros y
permite un tipo de comunicaciÃn global que enumera muy pocos permisos.

Algunos consejos para la mejor traducciÃn posible:
1) Mantener las frases mÃs cortas de lo normal.

2) Mantener la estructura mÃs simple frase que lo normal; frases con
dos o tres clÃusulas tienden a soplar el equipo? S del cerebro;

3) Antes de enviar el mensaje original a la mÃquina de traducciÃn,
compruebe que no faltas de ortografÃa y errores tipogrÃficos.

c) El valor de una lista de correo electrÃnico es casi totalmente
dependiente de la calidad de los mensajes enviados a la misma y la
calidad del debate que se produce. Tenemos grandes esperanzas en el
valor de esta lista.

d) Pagar una visita a nuestra nueva pÃgina web, www.copysouth.org. Con
la ayuda de otros, fue creado por Fatima Lasay de CopySouth, otro de
los moderadores de esta lista, y se abrià la semana pasada.

Pase en este enlace a tus amigos y colegas. Y tambiÃn considerar
publicar su propio artÃculo o sugiriendo buenos artÃculos escritos por
otros.

Tengo algunas cosas que quiero decir sobre el tema de la piraterÃa de
derechos de autor. Pero voy a esperar a otro dÃa. Ahora es tu turno.
Mis mejores deseos

Alan
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Alan Story
Senior Lecturer, Intellectual Property Law
Kent Law School
University of Kent
Canterbury Kent
United Kingdom   ÂCT2 7NS