John Jordan on Thu, 8 Oct 2009 13:07:10 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Copenhagen Centre for Contemporary Art pulls out of Climate Change commission: Art activists urgently looking for new host and space.

Dear friends

In July this year, The Laboratory of Insurrectionary Imagination, a
UK based art activists?? collective (www.labofii.net) was
commissioned by the Copenhagen Centre for Contemporary Art
( www.kunsthallennikolaj.dk/en/ ) to make a new piece of work for
Rethink, (www.rethinkclimate.org ) an exhibition of ?political? art
during the December UN climate change summit. Last week the gallery
pulled out claiming it could no longer continue to support the
project for ?practical reasons?.  In fact they were frightened that
the project involved non-violent civil disobedience and that this
might be disapproved of by their funders. We feel that the December?s
mobilisations in Copenhagen are a landmark in history, where trying
to ?play safe? is not a luxury we can afford. This was a political
pulling out not a practical issue. We are writing to ask for your
support so that despite the obstacles of cowardice the project can
still go ahead.

The project Putting the fun between your legs: The Bike Bloc, is a
collaboration between The Laboratory of Insurrectionary Imagination
and the UK Climate Camp (www.climatecamp.org.uk). The idea is to
design and build a new tool of creative resistance for the RECLAIM
POWER mobilisations taking place in Copenhagen on the 16th of
December 16th, a day of civil disobedience supported by over 200
organisations many from the global south.( www.climate-justice-
action.org ). Made from hundreds of recycled bikes, The Bike Bloc
will merge device of mass transportation and pedal powered resistance
machine, postcapitalist bike gang and art bike carnival.

Bike hackers, artists, welders, climate campers and engineers will be
working together to design and build The Bike Bloc across two cities:
Bristol (Arnolfini Gallery 15th ? 30th Nov, ? as part of C-words
exhibition - www.arnolfini.org.uk and somewhere in Copenhagen (4th-
18th  Dec.) The trouble is we no longer have a space or support
resources in Copenhagen, which with only 8 weeks to go puts us under
immense pressure.

If you have any idea of places, organisations, or, of collectives
that would be interested in hosting this project, and are prepared to
walk the talk, or would like to be involved please contact us as soon
as possible.

Yours
John Jordan and Isa Fremeaux