Flick Harrison on Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:46:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Google officially released the open source code for its Chrome OS, an operating system

Sinister motives are nerve-wracking enough - the push to eliminate
private hard drive space has similar terror to the slow move away from
paper currency.

How can you buy pot with a bank card?!

But I think it's important to separate security, privacy, and
competence, three issues that are extremely troubling.

Security and privacy have been discussed - but competence is not
something I want to leave to the cloud.  Yes, they manage a server for
a living, and a good living it is.  But My Desktop is My Castle means
more than that - it means if my personal photos, life's work, etc is
on my hard drive, THAT SHIT IS GETTING BACKED UP, COPIED, AND MAILED
TO MY MOTHER for safekeeping.

Is there a single person at google who gives a crap about my data
getting wiped?  Would someone skip their kids' birthday party, or step
back into a burning office at 1 Infinite Loop to rescue my childhood
super-8 films?

At least I'd have those choices.

"We're sorry, that user ID and password do not match any accounts in
our records.  If you think this is an error, please email
1000000_complaints_per_day@gmail.com "

I find it hassle enough, as a busy, lazy guy, to back up mailboxes in
OSX Mail: finding the folder in Finder and duplicating it, instead of
their old method of dragging the mailbox out of Mail and wherever you
want it.  Backing up Gmail without an actual OS on my end seems like
considerably more trouble than that.

Remember Killed by Google:

http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0906/msg00005.html

-Flick