jaromil on Sun, 6 Dec 2009 19:09:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Google officially released the open source code for its Chrome OS, an operating system

re all,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:44:37AM -0800, Flick Harrison wrote:

> Sinister motives  are nerve-wracking enough - the  push to eliminate
> private hard  drive space has similar  terror to the  slow move away
> from paper currency.
>
> How can you buy pot with a bank card?!

[...]

your mail touches a few good points, thanks.

i just feel reacting to this one above, since its too misleading:

       data :  digital local | digital remote

is not comparable to

      money :  analog local  | digital remote

shortly put and introducing the concept of encryption, [digital local]
can offer way more protection  than [analog local] and still some more
than [digital remote].

of  course  there are  many  possibilities  for  the configuration  of
digital storage  ( local  / remote  / hibrid )  as private,  thanks to
asymmetrical encryption,  that Google  Chrome will *hopefully*  use by
default.

anyway, considering most people in the world spends most of their time
offline and  that we are Not Sure  about Google being so  good all the
time  (will  neo-colonialist corporations  ever  save themselves  from
obeying  dictatorial govs?),  I and  I  would never  regard an  online
storage solution as safe.

the  best for your  privacy is  still your  pocket (encrypted)  with a
remote   *backup*,   maybe   in   multiple   pieces.    with   certain
configurations, if your  life is under threat, but  with a little help
from your friends, you and your data will even survive torture.

Google Chrome  is obviously a  consumer product, arguably  better than
Mircosloft and Appple's toys, but  still too short sighted to reliably
provide  what people  really needs  to  live and  operate safely  from
everywhere.

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39