paolo - molleindustria on Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:35:06 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Facebook demands Cease & Desist for the "Web 2.0 Suicide Machine"

They came up at the same time, a coincidence I'm sure. They have
slightly different statements, suicide machine is more about getting an
offline life, seppukoo advocates for a return to online anonymity
(http://www.neural.it/art/2009/12/web_20_suicide_machine_seppuko.phtml).
Also they work in different ways, for my understanding the first uses a
remote computer to simulate user interaction and removes content and
contacts one by one while streaming a video of the process in real time;
the latter disables the profiles and puts a "memorial" in the attempt to
virally spread the practice within the social network.

I think the key of the cease and desist letter (aside of the IP
infringement that can be defended as fair use/parody) is the login
information. Both projects ask for the Facebook username and password, a
practice similar to the malicious phishing. FB has APIs that allow third
parties to interface with their system but the login process is never
"outsourced" as it potentially grants access to private data of unaware
users (the friends of the user).

This raises an interesting paradox: if can't give away my FB personal
data because it is intertwined with other users data, Facebook becomes
the exclusive manager of online identities under its Terms and Conditions.