Alan Sondheim on Sat, 3 Apr 2010 10:28:39 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> A.S., with Johnson-Sondheim synthesizer, saxophone; Devonna W., A.S., voice, synthesizing, guitar

[digested @ nettime ]

From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>
Subject: Alan Sondheim, with Johnson-Sondheim synthesizer, saxophone
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:44:33 -0400 (EDT)
To: nettime-l@kein.org

Alan Sondheim, with Johnson-Sondheim synthesizer, saxophone

More from the archives.

http://www.alansondheim.org/tube.mp3

I think this must be around 1973-1975; the background sound (which makes
the pieces as far as I'm concerned) is an analog synthesizer Greg Johnson
and I constructed literally from scratch (no diagrams available, only
transisters and a few op amps) around 1968-69. The sound is from over-
drivern voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs), which locked into higher
'harmonics' of the system, due to their inherent instability. The driver
was a very slow subsonic sound-wave. The improvisation deliberately goes
nowhere (a fault of mine) and could have gone on forever.