jaromil on Sat, 8 May 2010 14:26:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Return of DRM

hi Morlock,

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 01:50:03PM -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> They do matter, and this is why: imposed/conditoned behaviours,
> manufactured desires, data collected, patterns discovered and
> exploited - all these are controlled by a very few and affect many,
> and those many affect everyone else.

you're right here, still those of us free from manufactured desires
are already well able to act far beyond the imagination of those who
are imposed and conditioned - that's quite something, considering
the situation where we are and the fact that we are talking about
a resilient and (digitally) autonomous network. The fact that "far
beyond" in the previous sentence represents a source of inspiration
for desires manufactured in future it's nothing we should worry about
now, rather than exploit it if we'll ever learn how to do that.

said that, we agree none of us wants to let those lovely i-phone
rubbers drown (let's say you convinced me to stop provoking myself to
care less) but also we cannot devolve our life fighting a symmetrical
war with armies of (paid) ergonomists and mind-blasting adverts.

> I don't see any GNU people collecting patterns and tracking
> end users in order to deploy those insights into spreading the
> GNU-deology. No, they do it 1:1, in a grassroots way, preaching to
> the choir, ensuring own irrelevance.

this is true for the past of the GNU project, while its presence and
methods are visibly revamped nowadays, also in the directions you are
suggesting, IMHO. there are all kind of new initiatives and news we
get from GNU and FSF; it all became more "professional" than it used
to be and definitely more intelligible by digital illiterates.

> You can not be a comfortable atheist in the land of religious
> zealots on remote control, which is what iphone rubbing 'tards
> are. Their attention is captured and tamed, and monitored for
> deviation (the Inquisition was a very expensive and inefficient way
> of ensuring compliance.)

in times when we are starting to "insure our relevance", the worst
threat is actually deviation from our own perception. the process
behind the definition of the GNU Social platform (previously discussed
on this list, as daisychain was criticized for its architecture) gives
some interesting hints on how this phenomenon can be avoided (or not);

right after the nettime thread some of us started interacting with
the GNU Social project and this document came out, as a willful
contribution so that it doesn't just ends being yet another tool to
monitor people's leisure activities

 http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/User:Hellekin/A_User_Perspective_Of_GNU_Social

still an early draft deserving more research, it defines "forgotten"
User Perspectives that can well work as eye openers, in the hope that
the next time the shit hits the fan in places like Italy, Iran or
China we won't have to rely on Twitter and Facebook as surrogates for
free speech tools.

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39