Flick Harrison on Sun, 30 May 2010 04:37:15 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> .another internet is possible!_

On 2010-05-02, at 05:03 , Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> Replacing one nonsense with the other. Do you really think Facebook
> knows something about you? Are you your facebook "identity"?

This should also be strongly countered with the argument that not only do your
own networks know all about you - in terms of your time-of-day activities, your
friend networks, any info you willingly post, etc... but consider your
"secondary profile" which can be gathered without your knowledge.

How unlikely is it that google, for instance, can build a pretty reliable
profile of you by combining a history of internet searches linked to your IP
address, google ads you've clicked from that same ip, or even google ads that
have been displayed on a browser with your ip (or a cookie if your address is
dynamic or shielded) - ads that are related to the content of sites you visit,
and therefore can be considered info about you.

And much more alarmingly, what about all your friends and professional
colleagues who use gmail accounts?  What possible reason would prevent google
from storing all your messages TO gmail accounts in a database linked to your
email address, and, if possible, connected to that other profile?  What about
text or video chats with users on those services?  What about all your clicks
on youtube?

When you access their services in these ways, there's no privacy agreement or
terms-of-service.

I've thought about appending this to all my emails, mostly for a laugh and to
destabilize uneducated readers:

"By accepting this message, your email service provider (ESP) agrees to the
following:  No data-analysis or content-related advertising may be generated
from anything in this correspondence.  By breaching this agreement, any ESP
hereby relinquishes to me all their property and chattels.  No exceptions
unless explicit in writing."

* FLICK's WEBSITE & BLOG: http://www.flickharrison.com
* FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=860700553
* MYSPACE: http://myspace.com/flickharrison