nativebuddha on Tue, 7 Dec 2010 22:09:56 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Wikileaks and "the shameless"

great bit here from The Guardian.  too bad the US press (notably the NYT)
has dropped a classic journalistic function--too shame the guilty.

-robert

"Wikileaks US Cables"

December 7, 2010

*5.30pm:* With perfect timing an email arrives from Philip Crowley at the
state department:

The United States is pleased to announce that it will host Unesco's World
Press Freedom Day event in 2011, from 1-3 May in Washington, DC.

Ironic? Read the next paragraph from the press release:

The theme for next year's commemoration will be 21st Century Media: New
Frontiers, New Barriers. The United States places technology and
innovation at the forefront of its diplomatic and development efforts. New
media has empowered citizens around the world to report on their
circumstances, express opinions on world events, and exchange information in
environments sometimes hostile to such exercises of individuals' right to
freedom of expression. At the same time, we are concerned about the
determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to
restrict the free flow of information. We mark events such as World Press
Freedom Day in the context of our enduring commitment to support and expand
press freedom and the free flow of information in this digital age.

Shameless. You really could not make it up.