Leigh Blackall on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 06:18:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Wikileaks is old hat

I agree Jaime,

Much like standing in front of a Jackson Pollock painting and saying,
"what's so fantastic about that, my 5 year old could have done it!". To a
large extent, Pollock's fame was manufactured, for a post war America, keen
to dominate ideological landscapes, including abstract art - a movement
begun in Russia some 50 years prior, ironically enough...

So, to what extent do people on this list suspect Wikileaks as spin itself?

The video that made WL famous - the one of the helicopter pilots mistaking
journalists with telescopic lenses, as insurgents carrying a weapon or two..
nothing shocking in that footage or audio what so ever! Anyone who has been
watching Youtube postings by MilBloggers ("freedom of speech from those who
defend it") knows of far more shocking footage, of very obvious civilian
massacres, complete with AC DC sound tracks for added effect.

So why is WL big news? Everything I have seen and heard from it seems to
play into the US agenda at some point anyway. Could the leaks have been
planted, to generate the spin needed? Or is the US PR machine in over drive,
effectively washing away all mud flung from these leaks?

Forced transparency = see! no one really cares anyway, on with the show...
don't anyone even dare thinking of leaking something of substance though,
see what will happen to you.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Jaime Magiera <jaime@sensoryresearch.net>wrote:

> I think lots of people are going to analyze Wikileaks (partially because of
> the treatment of Assange), but really they're missing the boat. Despite all
> the rhetoric, "Cablegate" was, from start to end, not really as major a
> paradigm shift as claimed. Lets break it down briefly...
 <...>

Leigh Blackall
+61(0)404561009
skype - leigh_blackall