Leigh Blackall on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 03:59:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Pollock, Art History and Cold War [was: Wikileaks is old hat]

Hi Goran, apologies to the list and its moderators if this response
offends etiquette.

Goran said:

it was in context of someone TALKING ABOUT a child's ability to
do better painting than "Pollock,"

You'll see in the thread
index<http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-1012/threads.html#00089>
that the context was Wikileaks, specifically Jaime Magiera's post,
"Wikileaks is old hat" where it was argued that Wikileaks was unremarkable
in terms of substance and technical implementation. I was first to
respond<http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-1012/msg00104.html>by
using a common reception of Pollock's work as an analogy:

Much like standing in front of a Jackson Pollock painting and saying,
> "what's so fantastic about that, my 5 year old could have done it!". To a
> large extent, Pollock's fame was manufactured...

I wanted to widen scope in Jaime's thread, and question that Wikileaks is
either a manufactured communications campaign, or turning into one. I'm
afraid the analogy proved too distracting.

Pollock, and the reception of high art became the focus of the thread, so a
new thread started, "*Pollock, Art History and Cold War [was: Wikileaks is
old hat]*".

I'm sorry if once again I am laboring the list's etiquette, but given it is
a public archive, I wanted to make clear that I did not say Pollock's work
amounts to the worth of a child's, and challenge the idea that such a
notion was the original context.

Regards
Leigh

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Goran Maric <goranmaric58@hotmail.com>wrote:

> First, it is not about throwing the names for the sake of throwing THE
> names, it was in context of someone TALKING ABOUT a child's ability to
> do better painting than "Pollock," so pretty much everything that was
> said was in that regard, and discussion developed somewhat further but
> stayed in within that context.
 <...>

--
Leigh Blackall