Eugenio Tisselli on Sun, 6 Feb 2011 15:40:25 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Why so surprised?

Probably nobody here at nettime is surprised, but if we go by the current media gimmicks, the fact that the Egyptian peole are using Facebook and Twitter (to an extent which is yet uncertain, and needs to be seriously researched) to overthrow the ruling regime seems to be the *Big Finding* of the season.

So, why so surprised?

Yes, many people in the Sahrawi refugee camps in southern Algeria have Facebook profiles, and use them regularly to communicate with their families in the territories occupied by Morocco and their friends in the rest of the world. I have seen that.

Why so surprised? Is it because Orientalism (Edward Said) dies hard, and we in the West are still inclined to see Arabic cultures as being primitive, hopelessly lost in a maze of tradition and religious fanatism? Surprised because they are able to use "our" tools to their own benefit? Is it because, while most of us on this side of the "digital divide" use Facebook mostly to express how very pissed we got at last night's party, the people on "the other side" are finding ways of effectively bypassing their government's censorship and organizing to take the streets?

Yes, rural farmers in Tanzania have more than one mobile phone per family, sometimes even three or four. And guess what? They use them to their own benefit, to trade, sell, organize, communicate. Right on a spot in the jungle for which Google maps doesn't even have high-resolution satellite imagery. I have seen that, too.

So, why so surprised? After all, Howard Rheingold wrote about "Smart Mobs" back in 2002 (not that the book is particularly deep, but it already revealed what we are seeing now)