Brian Holmes on Tue, 15 Feb 2011 04:20:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The second American revolution?

Keith Hart wrote:

"After the watershed of the 1970s, we went through three decades of what
came to be known as neoliberal globalization in which the power of big
money to organize the world for its own benefit was unfettered. The end
of the Cold War, the rise of China, India and Brazil as economic powers
and the digital revolution in communications speeded up the formation of
world society under American hegemony, even as these developments
undermined it. This ended with the financial crisis of 2008 and we are
now in the uncharted waters of the third period which might take in a
full-scale depression, world war, a global democratic revolution, the
end of life on earth, who knows?"

All that is so astonishing, daunting, frightful and fascinating about
political life today is summed up in those two words: *world society.*
It exists, it's potentially accessible to everyone, it's damnably
complex, it has not eliminated nation-states or any other power
formation and mostly it seems to follow inherent laws based on the blind
interaction of separated spheres -- corporations, militaries, government
bureaucracies, financial markets etc. -- whose cumulative effects appear
increasingly predictable and decreasingly controllable by anyone.
Nonetheless, there it is. A decade ago, some millions of us earthlings
on scattered continents had a try at starting a global social movement.
I've been hooked on world society ever since.

World society is in many ways a dialectical consequence of liberal
empire. The latter refers to the military-backed free trade regime
installed by the United States and its allies at the close of WWII, as a
reaction against the break-up of the world economy into competing
trade-and-currency blocs during the 1930s. To absorb the momentous
productivity of its war-charged industrial output, the Council of
Foreign Affairs claimed during the war that the USA needed a "Grand
Area" comprising the entire Western Hemisphere, Western Europe, the
former British Commonwealth and East Asia. To achieve this in practice
the postwar superpower had to organize the reconstruction of Germany and
Japan and to rebuild their currencies which, along with the dollar and
sterling, came to form the basis of a new global monetary system. A few
states in Western Europe and East Asia became the key US allies,
monetary backers and military-base hosts during the Cold War. Outside
this partnership structure it would all be about exports, raw materials
extraction, democratic promises and power politics as usual. Of course,
Britain had run a similar free trade regime under the navy tricolor and
the gold standard, and I totally agree with you, Keith, in the parallels
you draw and the distinctions you make between these two regimes.
Drawing on democratic ideals and the use of those ideals to articulate a
profoundly capitalist society at home, the US elites set up all kinds of
egalitarian internationalist institutions after the war, institutions of
which the British would never have dreamed. They then proceeded to
flaunt them systematically in obedience to the bottom line of national
interest, and against the wishes of much of the citizenry. It was
national capitalism expanded to a world scale. However, by the 1960s US
investments in fixed industrial capital and its willingness to import
cheap manufactured goods had already externalized part of its power, and
that helped Western Europe and Japan grow into relatively sovereign
spheres. Meanwhile the spread of media, technology and education,
favored equally by the Soviet Union, set the conditions for the world
revolution of 1968 and the tumultuous decade of the 1970s, when
so-called Third World countries made a bid to start a New International
Economic Order (NIEO).

Because of the blockages that capital formation had encountered within
the US democracy itself, because of the emergence of a tripolar order
(remember the Trilateral commision, founded in 1972 as an expansion of
the Council on Foreign Relations) and because of the worldwide character
of 68 and the self-asssertion of the Third World states, the neoliberal
hegemony that beat down the NEIO, outspent the USSR, choked back the
Japanese competition and eventually set the rules for a new integration
of the world-system had to be transnational in its very essence.
Transnationalism meant the abandonment of quotas and tariff barriers,
the loss of much capacity for censorship, the decline of territorial
sovereignty and along with it, of many welfare systems, the rise of
global oligopolies and the promotion of fractions of the former national
middle classes to the new inglorious role of functionaries, free agents,
advertisers and gadflies of the World Corporation. But all that also
meant the kaleidoscopic multiplication of forms of partial sovereignty,
some traditional and some entirely new. This was a dramatic change,
something huge, unprecedented. Toni Negri and Michael Hardt called it
Empire. It is exactly that, but there is no use blurring the immensities
of its intricacies under some vague mythic narrative based on the
Romans. Crucial forces within the fully transnational liberal-economic
system are: global financial markets, continental blocs, regional and
global criminal networks, nuclear proliferation, the new transnational
relevance of ancient religions, the rise of the VLCs (Very Large
Countries: China, India, Russia, Brazil), the Internet, world-wide
social movements including terrorist ones, and last but not least, the
persistence of the old, lumbering, super-weaponized, highly educated,
obsessively consumerist, compulsively interventionist, media-mesmerized
globosaurus known as the USA, whose rearguard holding actions and failed
containment strategies dominated world headlines until the crash of 2008.

Keith draws the idea (hope? fantasy? urgent necessity?) of a second
American revolution from the Trinidadian cricketer and communist
internationalist CLR James, whose work on American Civilization he
edited and whom he knew well, so if you get the chance let him regale
you with stories. By developing a concept of empire based on the analogy
with Britain, Keith gives a unique interpretation of what just happened
(and is still happening) in Egypt: he starts extending the hoped-for 2nd
American revolution to those Middle Eastern regions which have been
under direct American imperial control. That means boots on the ground,
bombs from the air and streams of finance that dwarf the imagination,
but that can be cashed in for just one thing: American guns to be used
by local troops to keep American gas-pumps flowing. How could such
places be the site of a second American revolution? The paradox to which
Keith points, if I can reformulate it in his spirit, is that GW Bush
claimed to be invading Iraq in order to create the conditions for a
flourishing middle class all over the Arab world; while the Egyptians,
by deposing an American-backed dictator, are actually doing that. This
interpretation puts the accent on the liberal-democratic character of
the movements and their economic aspirations. KH: "The first American
revolution provides the rhetoric and even the substance of the second."
Now, there is something to that, because the American hegemony in its
transnationalist phase has permeated the entire world-system down to the
level of individual subjectivities, and the Holy Triny of Google,
Facebook, Twitter is just the symbol, or the metonym, of that vast
transfer of subjective capital. Yet I wouldn't go too far in that
direction, because after all, Hardt and Negri's big mistake was to
conflate the atemporal concept of constituent power with the historical
form of American constitutionalism (which they moreover conceived as
having a network-like character). I guess the political and social
formations on the ground are more subtle, less technological and more
philosophically and ideologically complex than abstractions like
liberalism or constitutionalism would lead you to believe. Maybe the
most important thing the US state has done to facilitate this revolution
has been to get itself involved in two damaging quagmires which not only
interdict further involvements or outlays of (other people's) money, but
which have also destroyed the idea that an imported solution of
ready-made American capitalist democracy is worth waiting around for,
while your American-backed dictator claims legitimacy by his opposition
to an increasingly unlikely terrorist-islamist coup. Let's admit that's
a pretty slim contribution.

Here's how I understand it, very partially. The urban movement in Egypt
over the last three weeks has been intergenerational, interfaith and
interclass, something you can see in the photos and on which there is
much direct commentary from the participants. That kind of thing can
completely change who you are and may become. The movement in the cities
has been joined by great factory strikes, close to a general strike in
the industrial sector, still ongoing. I am unaware what's happening in
the countryside (let's hear from those of you who know). The Cairoti and
Alexandrian middle classes who are said to have "led" the movement
appear very much aware that almost half their fellow citizens live in
deep poverty, and they must surely have also seen that Western
corporations mainly want to extract their money and resources in
whatever way possible; while the European humanist promise of
co-development and shared civilizations remains hollow, fallacious and
increasingly takes on the features of a border guard with a gun. The
burning question of the Middle East, a regional question, is how to
distribute the oil money in such a way that the productive ambitions of
the middle classes can translate into constructive programs that begin
to allieviate the poverty and subservience of all those left excluded
from the US-backed regimes -- not through aid programs but through rural
development, useful industry, education and other attributes of true
popular sovereignty which cannot be beamed in over the Internet or
purchased with an oil-price windfall. Al Jazeera has just posted an
article by Lamis Adoni that says this: "Events in Egypt and Tunisia have
revealed that Arab unity against internal repression is stronger than
that against a foreign threat... Unlike the pan-Arabism of the past, the
new movement represents an intrinsic belief that it is freedom from fear
and human dignity that enables people to build better societies and to
create a future of hope and prosperity" (http://tinyurl.com/panarabism-now).

I can't read into the hearts and minds of anyone, but it seems to me
that there, in a new and far more pragmatic version of Arab unity, lies
at least part of the hope of the Egyptian activists in the January 25
movement, and also of people like the Al Jazeera journalists who have
just carried out the most impressive venture in independent journalism I
have witnessed in my lifetime (and by the way, kudos to Karin Spaink for
saying exactly that on this list). What could finally be invented in the
Middle East is a way to have fruitfall cross-border discussion and set
up regional dynamics of socially managed economic growth, as Latin
Americans have been doing with some success over this decade. All this
points to the need for a singularizing process leading outside the
normative binaries of liberal empire (globalization/underdevelopment,
democracy/terrorism). And so the global media pundits (including
ourselves) are definitely too quick to proclaim the "victory" of a
revolution that has only started. In recent days Al Jazeera has pubished
multiple testimonies from Eastern Europeans and Iranians explaining that
the difficult part comes after the revolution; and to think our Egyptian
friends are not aware of these historical precedents and not deeply
preoccupied with finding the true organic bases and dynamics of a long
transition toward an egalitarian society would be to deny them the
intelligence that they have shown over these past weeks - and months,
and years, before we could even see it. I reckon Keith agrees with all
this and probably has a good deal to add concerning the human economy of
a transition to substantial democracy.

But finally, the question of the second revolution in the belly of the
beast is the one that I find most compelling. At the end of the Bush
regime, I came back to America from a long exile because I knew
something was going to happen. Voila, Act I immediately came in all its
welcome tawdry glory with the popping of the housing bubble and the
intense corruption it revealed in the motherland of liberal empire. The
Arab Spring could be Act II, let's hope, let's support the process in
whatever small way, let's ask real questions about the changes this
requires in the current version of neoliberal globalization. But what's
gonna be Act III? When are we gonna produce something of our own will,
and not a catastrophe or a gift that falls down out of the heavens? CLR
James talked about the absorption of American intellectuals into the
bureaucracy (truly, the fate of most professors and cultural producers),
into the labyrinths of self-fulfillment (psycho-analysis in his time, 31
flavors of social-media in our day). I would add two other things.
First, outright corruption for large numbers of artists and thinkers
simply *bought off* by their privileges. And then, for many productive
disbelievers like our own John Young, the dark black self-protective
cynicism that comes from the detailed knowledge of oppressive state and
corporate machinery. How to overcome all that? Where would this second
revolution come from?

You have to look far and wide to find Americans who have even heard of
James, or Raya Dunayevskaya, or the Johnson-Forrester tendency which
developed a concept of world revolution in the mid-twentieth century
(http://tinyurl.com/world-revolution). But you can go to Detroit and
listen to a 94-year-old woman in a wheelchair who has far more vitality
than any of the airbrushed zombies nervously adjusting their suits in
the faculty clubs where they discuss networked Marxism and many other
urgent subjects reduced to pale careerism. An entire generation of young
and not-so-young American activists made the journey to Detroit last
summer on the occasion of the US Social Forum. The woman they heard
speak is Grace Lee Boggs, she's a Chinese-American and she worked with
CLR James and Raya Dunayevskaya before deciding she had to go deeper
into the black community struggles of the late 50s-early 60s. Grace Lee
Boggs is a quintesential expression of the proliferating
black-brown-yellow-red-white grassroots reality of dissent and
alternative organizing in the United States, which the crisis has pushed
into a higher gear. After the awesome 1967 Detroit rebellion and the
cascade of government programs that followed, Grace Lee and her husband
the radical black unionist Jimmy Boggs decided that the Black Power
movement had now beeen coopted and reduced to just another interest
group, so they started NOAR, the National Organization for an American
Revolution. They produced no revolution, but some of the deepest
homegrown reflection that we have on such things. Grace is all about
revolution-evolution. She stresses the histories of struggling
communities, the relation between the base and the leadership, the
existential character of participation in a movement, the unfinished and
provisional nature of all theory - things which you could use as a guide
in perceiving what the Egyptian movement is, and even more, what the
American movements are and could become. You listen to this woman and
you want to build something now, with no fear and no foot on the brakes
and no limits on the intelligence, except for that practical demand to
walk the walk and make it real. But what does that mean, concretely, for
us in the near future?

I guess there will be no American revolution without a deeper crisis,
but I also guess it will come. The geopolitical transformations, the
resource crunch, the climate chaos, the monetary instability driven by
unreformed financial markets, the narco chaos in Mexico due to decades
of bad neoliberal policies on both sides of the border, the chasms of
inequality, the racism and fascism all that gives rise to inside our
country, all that is part, not of the expansion of America into empire,
but of the implosion of empire into America. That's how we are now going
to experience world society -- and also the fascism that seeks to escape
from it, build a wall against it. In the face of that we need to
reconstruct critical thought as practice. In my opinion, the grassroots
movements of which I am a part are too naive about the complexity of the
imperial implosion. We don't realize how closely everything that is
happening to us is connected to everything that the corporate elites and
the military are doing out in the world, and we don't have enough ways
-- some, but not enough -- of connecting with people who are also trying
to break out of liberal empire. I think that as intellectuals we need to
give street cred to an analysis of global capital and its possible
alternatives. And in the same movement, we have to convince parts of the
former middle classes (that's ourselves) to start thinking and living
differently. There is much to build on as the public university
collapses and a national network of autonomist activist-intellectuals
begins to look like a vitally interesting place to invest one's life
energies. How to proliferate the models of grassroots theory & practice,
how to push real political discussions into the public sphere without
reducing them to the existing alternatives (repubdem), how to overcome
the media drumbeat of the war machine that drowns out everything else in
this country, except maybe the big sporting events and consumer fests
that are another side of the same coin?

The questions are complex, to answer them needs real study and precise
information of the kind that is usually found in universities. But you
can't play on their table and expect the house not to win. Intellectuals
and cultural producers are mostly trapped within the corruption of the
existing institutions. Even at home, the second American revolution has
to come at the price of some kind of exit from liberal empire. I call on
those who conceive themselves as intellectuals to do this, at all levels
of activity, as many have already done since the turn of the millennium.
Let's show our colors and find out what they are and how to wear them.
Let's get together and do some serious intellectual projects. Serious
means the idea is not just to analyze but to change something.

Grace Lee Boggs says: "I think too many radicals use events to
demonstrate the validity of their ideas, rather than as challenges to
further our thinking" (http://tinyurl.com/grace-revolution). Thanks,
Keith, for opening up the question of the second American revolution.